• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Oase 175 Styline

Trakkajack

So I picked up my tank and oodles of goodies from Horizon. Complete novice doesn’t start to give the correct impression of how novice I am!

I’m waiting for my list from Horizon of exactly what I bought but here’s what I can remember...

Oase 650 Biomaster
Manzanita wood
Stones. Can’t remember which
Tropica soil
Tropica substrate
ADA sand I think it was
Dennerle Baikal - not put in yet
An additional light with blue and red can’t remember which
Additional white things to put into the filter (removed blue sponges)
Seachem Prime
Seachem stability
24 he Aquarist APT complete comprehensive planted aquarium supplement
Aquavitro Aquascaping tweezers and scissors
Oase spiral brush
Metal bristled brush for cleaning atones
Seachem scraper with pad and blade
Oase spare filter sponges blue
Aquarium Lab multi test kit - not used yet
Length of hose for water changes
Oase submersible pump. It got damaged in the post so am awaiting delivery of new one. Having to use cold hose pipe water to refil unfortunately but not for much longer hopefully
1.2 grow plants next
Pogostemon
Eleocharis
Lilaeopsis
Alternathera
Staurogyne
Vesicularia x2
Aquadip plants -
Ludwiga mini super red x 3
Aquafleur Bucephalandra Theia green
Tropica plants
Pogostemon 1
Cryptocoryne x 4
Hygrophila x 2
Limnophila x 1
Microsorum x 7
Becephalandra x 4
Then added:
Seachem purigen bag
Mini landscape seiryu rock
Plus more plants
Hygrophila siamensis 53b x 2
Helanthium rebelling green x 3
Cryptocoryne wendtii green x 2
Limnobium laevigatum x 1
Microsorium pteropus windelov x1
Bolbitis heudelotii x 1
Tropica aquarium soil powder
I now also have an Eheim intake strainer and filter intake pipe for water changes.

So today (25.04.21) I added
1 Limnobium laevigatum Tropica 1-2 grow (floating)
1 Microsorum narrow leaf (put onto manzanita wood)
1 Helanthium tenellum green Tropica 1-2 grow (put at front near sand

Last edited:
You'll have to post on YouTube or similar and link it. Forum doesn't support video uploads (file size I think)
Oh gosh. No idea how to do that! That’s a shame as I’m having algae issues and wanted to know what to do. Will take a photo instead. Thank you

This is the algae. I’m not sure what to do re lighting levels etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 262
It’s diatoms, which are no big deal, do frequent large water changes and add some algae eaters after a couple of weeks ( check out the tropic app!) I like the simplicity of your wood layout v nice.

key thing from my experience is to ensure your Co2 is on point- ie a nice lime green lights on. I don’t know how strong your lights are but less intense with a 4-5 photo period to start will help. I also like floating plants or to float some stems to start.

It’s diatoms, which are no big deal, do frequent large water changes and add some algae eaters after a couple of weeks ( check out the tropic app!) I like the simplicity of your wood layout v nice.

key thing from my experience is to ensure your Co2 is on point- ie a nice lime green lights on. I don’t know how strong your lights are but less intense with a 4-5 photo period to start will help. I also like floating plants or to float some stems to start.
Thank you. I don’t have CO2. That seemed too complicated for me as a novice. Ok lights will be cut back. Water changes was every day 90% then every other day about 80%. I am having to fill the tank from the cold water hose as my submersible pump was damaged in transit and I’m awaiting another. Could that be a reason too?

Diatoms come with most newly set ups- I don’t know the reasons but colder water won’t be one of them. You can remove most of it with an old toothbrush if unsightly, but algae eaters will clear pronto!

not co2 is a good idea if your new to the hobby- good water movement at the surface will help with using the small amounts of atmospheric co2. Lower lighting is the key and patience!

Tank looks good, diatoms and some of the leaf melt is common with new set ups, new plants e.t.c, as mentioned keep up with the water changes and try to remove some of the diatoms, remove the leaf if it starts to die. Reduce the lighting intensity if you can.

I'd probably wait until the tank is cycled before adding live stock, especially as you have ada/ tropica substrate and will likely be releasing high amounts of ammonia for a good few weeks.

Diatoms come with most newly set ups- I don’t know the reasons but colder water won’t be one of them. You can remove most of it with an old toothbrush if unsightly, but algae eaters will clear pronto!

not co2 is a good idea if your new to the hobby- good water movement at the surface will help with using the small amounts of atmospheric co2. Lower lighting is the key and patience!
Thank you. I have turned off two of the lights and am now just using the one light for a shorter period (the light that has the white, red and blue) - I’ve just took everything out, cleaned it and redone the tank adding more plants as I made areal mess doing a water change using my new submersible pump eek

Tank looks good, diatoms and some of the leaf melt is common with new set ups, new plants e.t.c, as mentioned keep up with the water changes and try to remove some of the diatoms, remove the leaf if it starts to die. Reduce the lighting intensity if you can.

I'd probably wait until the tank is cycled before adding live stock, especially as you have ada/ tropica substrate and will likely be releasing high amounts of ammonia for a good few weeks.
Lights reduced thanks. Definitely not ready for livestock yet! I can’t keep plants alive let alone anything else! I’ve taken out the subsoil as I was a numpty and didn’t cap it. Add that to a messy water change and I had real trouble. So with advice from Aquarium Gardens I added soil powder, removed the substrate which was just mud by this stage and added more plants. I’m basically starting again but it’s a big learning curve and I know better next time!!

Ah mate! Your going through it and learning.
Every time I do a water change I learn something.
Spilt water on the carpet at 12 last night. Didn't even know until my partner highlighted it!
She bought me my first fish 20 years ago so there you go!
By the way it's not the first time I have read that someone didn't cap soil.
Keep learning 👍
Si

Ah mate! Your going through it and learning.
Every time I do a water change I learn something.
Spilt water on the carpet at 12 last night. Didn't even know until my partner highlighted it!
She bought me my first fish 20 years ago so there you go!
By the way it's not the first time I have read that someone didn't cap soil.
Keep learning 👍
Si
Aww thanks. I’m trying! I’m getting a little obsessed with looking at it and checking it all already. First thing and last thing I do. And I’m only looking at plants so gawd knows what I’m going to be like when I eventually get my shrimp!

It's all a learning curve, Im on the same journey. Let's hope the tank settles in a bit for you now.
Oh I hope so. I’ve got some soil moved already but you know I’m now thinking it adds character as otherwise I’d be doing it again!!

Water change coming up in a bit. I’m doing a 90% like in a new tank. I’m worried as the jet of water was too strong yesterday on refill and moved the soil to the front. Despite having a bag around the hose outlet but by the time the water gushed out and I realised eek I had to run 35ft back to the sink to stop the pump - oh gawd. Pump was on minimum too ... I’m sure I will get the hang of it at some point. Well I hope I do ha ha

Back