• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new Oase 175 Styline

Yes trim and replant the tops to get denser growth
Thank you. I will give it a go. As I plant I tend to dislodge more than stay in ha ha. I’m sure there’s a knack to it that I haven’t acquired as yet!
Here's a link to some pointers with diagrams about how I do it with Ludwigia palustris: How to trim and replant aquarium plants | Fireplace aquarium
Two main tips I found helped: 1) get some really high quality pinsettes. You're going to be doing this regularly with fast growing stem plants and having good tools will make your life so much easier. 2) leave some petioles on at the base of the stem you're going to replant so the stem will have something to anchor it and won't just float back straight out.

the stems saw them coming, wilfully uprooted, and all started dancing around in the spraybar flow. D'oh!
Oh I feel your pain.
I cut some plants back today and tried to replant the cut bits. Why oh why do the professionals make it look so easy. I nearly threw them in the bin rather than have them continue to mock me ….. the amano were absolutely fed up of me and came to clear me off.

Here's a link to some pointers with diagrams about how I do it with Ludwigia palustris: How to trim and replant aquarium plants | Fireplace aquarium
Two main tips I found helped: 1) get some really high quality pinsettes. You're going to be doing this regularly with fast growing stem plants and having good tools will make your life so much easier. 2) leave some petioles on at the base of the stem you're going to replant so the stem will have something to anchor it and won't just float back straight out.
That’s great thanks. Much appreciated!

good idea re leaving bits on the bottom. I did by accident do that today with one of my plants and it did work a lot better.

Not posted for a while. Still looking for a larger discus tank so in the meantime my 4 are in my aquascape tank. Still stuck. I know I know it’s my choice but I will get there eventually…… more discus to buy then move to new tank when it’s ready then I can start with my aquascape again. The discus are dirty so and so’s. My otocinclus are all still alive. My amano are thriving, my snails are laying all those blooming eggs. Wait till I catch the ones that are doing it ha ha. Plants not doing bad considering no CO2. Reds are rubbish I know … once I move the discus I want to clean and move stuff around in this tank. I’ve learnt a lot on what not to do already!!
Water change just done so discus sulking …

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 303
I was supposed to pick up my new tank on 15 August but the guys just pulled out of the sale yesterday. Gutted. Just done a water change and trimmed my plants and it’s back to surfing the selling sites and Facebook market place.

can I ask please. When I was doing the water change I was putting some plants back in that I had trimmed and where I poked my finger into the soil bubbles came up. I was worried these were nitrogen bubbles and dangerous so I stopped but am I supposed to get rid of them or what?
My poor discus will have to stop in their smaller tank a bit longer now it appears…

mess looking forward to moving them out and getting my aquascape redone. Oh well. There’s time yet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 255
When I was doing the water change I was putting some plants back in that I had trimmed and where I poked my finger into the soil bubbles came up. I was worried these were nitrogen bubbles and dangerous so I stopped but am I supposed to get rid of them or what?

Potentially Co2 respired from the roots. Get large bubbles from the carpeting plants regularly, wouldn’t worry about it @Trakkajack .

Tom Barr does a plant removal in the aticles tutorials (plantbrain)so as your doing replanting with water change should as Geoffrey says should be fine

So I finally picked up a 5ft second hand tank today from Facebook marketplace. A few questions if I may just to make sure ….

do I clean it out using dilute white vinegar?
I have filled the filter photo attached with water from my fish tank once I got it home. The guy emptied the water from it whilst I was there. How long can the filter sit with my fish tank water in it not hooked up whilst I try and clean the tank and accessories (they’re a bit grim)
It’s for my discus so won’t be heavily planted. Maybe just sand on the bottom when it’s up and running. Presume I then do an old fashioned fishless cycle?

any recommendations for heater or another filter?

Any other comments would be appreciated

Attachments

• 1E9C5AED-893E-406C-B2E5-627AD53B81C3.jpeg
    1E9C5AED-893E-406C-B2E5-627AD53B81C3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 178
  • 8F862B9A-B530-4038-AA37-5A0449C28D55.jpeg
    8F862B9A-B530-4038-AA37-5A0449C28D55.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
  • 0D6035B3-E965-42A0-8287-41A5EE059CFC.jpeg
    0D6035B3-E965-42A0-8287-41A5EE059CFC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 171
Personally I'd give the tank a clean with a dilute bleach spray and then give it a good rinse, then rinse rave, rinse repeat. With the old filter I'd do the same and set the tank up from scratch.

Heater wise... 2 x 200w.

Alternatively put all the filter media into a bucket full of water with an airstone and you're sorted indefinitely.
Oh thank you. I didn’t know that! Do I use tank water?
Ok near vinegar then lots of washing out presumably?
Thank you

Oh thank you. I didn’t know that! Do I use tank water?
Yes tank water ideally or dechlorinated tap water. If the canister is full of mulm and dirty water use that. Essentially the bacteria in the filter media will adapt to the level of nutrients in the water - if you "feed" it with your old tank water when you do WCs that will be plenty - when you transfer it back into the filter canister attached to your new tank it probably won't really notice the difference until you start adding fish!

Ok near vinegar then lots of washing out presumably?
Thank you
Yep. I just did a WC today and washed my sliding glass lid, which had loads of scale due to hard water. Gave it a good old rub with kitchen paper soaked in vinegar to get rid of the scale, and then j-cloth and washing-up liquid. Then a lot of rinsing. The advantage of @John q's suggestion is that bleaching everything and starting from scratch means you've sterilized, and won't run the risk of any infections persisting from the tank's previous inhabitants.
Cheers,
Simon

Great find! You don't need to dilute the vinegar; it will clean up the tank brilliantly. I would have thought if the filter is open to air it would last a day or so. Alternatively put all the filter media into a bucket full of water with an airstone and you're sorted indefinitely.
I did that and also bought a fluval fx6 plus 2 300w heaters

I’m still cleaning the tank. No rush. It’s filthy so want to get it right.

I got black sand for this tank (fancied a change) not got any wood or stones yet - suggestions always appreciated!

So I’ve not been on for a while. Life gets in the way of my new hobby yet again grrr.

But I actually got a day off yesterday and made some good progress with my new 5ft tank for my discus to transfer to eventually.

Progress so far …. Heaters and wave maker thingy going in today. This was actually for my small tank with a larger one for the big tank but it nearly blew my poor fish and plants out of the tank so was very hastily removed! Hope it’s ok for the big tank. Apparently they move the poop along to the filter so no dead areas. Although you all know that. It’s just me who’s finding this stuff out.

Once the discus are moved across I can then redo and rescape my original Oase tank. It’s a tad unkempt but I’m just waiting now until the new large tank is ready. No point me stressing. I’ve managed to keep up with my water changes over the past couple of months but that’s about it!

I’ve got two of these heaters to go into the new tank.

Any suggestions greatly received…

Attachments

• F579C29D-5373-4F96-A5BA-7988241E340E.jpeg
    F579C29D-5373-4F96-A5BA-7988241E340E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 128
  • A42FD80E-84E8-42CE-8D1F-8B126DD522E5.jpeg
    A42FD80E-84E8-42CE-8D1F-8B126DD522E5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
  • 61122D74-723D-41DF-9D86-F2138B6BD995.jpeg
    61122D74-723D-41DF-9D86-F2138B6BD995.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • 1C5B062D-D273-4578-8974-AB30EC96A2B7.jpeg