My New Project 'Celestial Rapture'

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by SuperColey1, 9 Mar 2008.

1. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Member

A bit of a camp name but I'll go with it for now. lol

This will be the 35Ltr Nano I have been planning since October last year.

I was trying to do the whole project for under £150 including tank, all equipment, plant and livestock! but am finding it quite hard so I am revising my budget to £175

So far I have the following:

Tank
    ArcTank 35Ltr (40cm x 28cm x 30cm) inc ArcPod £50 (I will sell thefilter on through ebay to retreive some money)

Filter
    Eden copy off ebay £20 + Glass 9mm in/out pipes off ebay £22

Heater
    Was looking into using a reptile mat coupled with a thermostat controller but at £50+ this idea may have to go in favour of a standard heater.

Substrate
    I will be using ADA AS amazonia but to keep the cost down I shall be buying a 3Ltr bag and mixing half of it with fine gravel to use at the bottom and then use the pure half on top. This brings the cost down to £13 for the ADA and pennies for the gravel from a garden centre.
    Under this I shall be using Leonardite that I already have and of course mulm underneath that.

Hardscape
    Looking for a nice piece of wood to fit for under £15

Plants
    Anubias Barteri 'Petite' - £0 (I already have in my 33USG)
    Xmas moss - £0 (As above)
    Needle Leaf Java Fern - £0 (as above)
    Cryptocoryne Parva - £5 Tropica
    Glosso - £5 Tropica

Fish
    Celestial Rasbora (Galaxy Danios. lol) x 10
    Pygmy Cory x 10
    Waiting for Monty @ Tri-mar to quote me as I am also after some more Cardinals to top up my 33USG. Should be about £45ish.

So there we have it. I am aiming to get this lot bought in June/July and planted up. The fish will be bought and go in a month later.

Any ideas on reducing costs here (other than using the standard hoses of filters or using soil etc. lol)

Andy

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Sounds good.

Are you using just the one ArcPod? I'm not sure if it'll be enough to carpet glosso. You'll likely need two at least.

3. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Member

I am thinking 2 myself but we will see. Maybe just carpet with the parva first and then see where to go from there.

Andy

4. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

You could consider Marsilea sp as a Glosso substitute. I`ve only ever grown it in high light which does keep it nice and low, but it can get a little leggy where it starts intruding under stems etc. It does have lower light requirements than Glosso, though.

Cryptocoryne parva is a nice plant. (my first ever Crypt.) I have just planted some in my new 60cm rescape, which I intend to give an even camper name than your tank.

Dave.

5. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Plant heavily then, or be prepared for a long wait.... It's slower than anubias.

6. Lisa_Perry75

Lisa_Perry75 Member

I've seen that tank for £40 in my LFS so maybe see if you can get it that price too.

7. SuperColey1

SuperColey1 Member

I will have to look around. I've seen it in P@H but they never put a price on it!!

Andy

8. Garuf

Garuf Member

Andy, when you get your nano set up get a hydor areo 1 I just road tested one briefly on my tank, silent and the bubbles are a 1/2 the size of normal diffuser bubbles, only thing is its damn unsightly.