• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new scape named Variance.Sneaky pre-ADA peak.

Graeme Edwards

Founder
The name:

Variance:
1. the state, quality, or fact of being variable, divergent, different, or anomalous.
2. an instance of varying; difference; discrepancy.
3. a difference between conflicting facts or claims or opinions; "a growing divergence of opinion"
4. the quality of being subject to variation [syn: variability] [ant: invariability]
5. Change.

Hi all,

Its about time I got back into doing a decant sized aquascape.
Its been nearly 4 years since I messed with a tank above 45cm's. But here it is, a MASSIVE :lol: 90x30x45 tank.
Im regularly ribbed about my aquascapes being no bigger than a pint glass at every founders and Ukaps meet :lol:

The lighting is via an Arcadia I bar x2 39W Arcadia tubes ( Thanks Green Machine)im not a huge fan of the horrible pink hue they arcadia tubes have.

Filtration is a Fluvel 205 External.

All the hardscape materials in this scape are Unipac products. So the wood is Sumatran Drift wood.
Rocks are called Dark Textured.They have a unique pattern with a reddish color with light whitish flecks mixed with other slate type tones. Ive had to smash the odd rock up to fit the scape.
The gravel is called Zambezi sand, its around 2mm, perfect for planting and looks very muck like ADA's brighty sand, but a little darker and very natural.

Im not going to plant this up just yet. Im still in need of a few bits of gear, but hopefully ill be making a trip to the very local Green Machine this weekend, were I will have no problems getting all the rest of the sundries and any Tropica plants i could wish for, marvelous! :)

I layered a 2cm layer of Tropica plant substrate on the base, then mixed some more with some Unipac black fine gravel to raise the mound and to make it a little more accessible to the plants first reaching roots before they get to the main substrate fertilizer.
Then built up the rocks wood and gravel gradually.

Heres the hard-scape.

Cheers.

Loving it already mate! 8)

Hey I've got a great idea for a name, how about "Unicorn"? 8)

Cheers,

Nice one mate, thats gonna look ace!

You've certainly made a good choice with the hardscape. That Dark Textured, Sumatra and Zambizi work really well together.

Love it.

Ray said:
Those jets on the filter return - are they standard on all Fluval filters or are they an option you can get separately?

Cheers,

Ray

I am not sure but i think they are extra. I got a fluval vicenza 180 included with a fluval 205 and it come with that outlet but last month i got another one for my 60l but it came with the standard outlet they usually come with.

Nice tank by the way!

The filter out lets came with the 205 filter. the filter was destined for a large Fluvel Venice or something like that, so i guess its standard for them with the Italian range complete systems they do.

I am really happy with the hardscape materials. Despite the poor representation on the materials in the Unipac catalog, these are great. Its nice how the Zambezi sand lifts tones from the dark texture rock, all very earthy and natural. the Rock also has a nice randomness about it, very much like natural rock formations.
If i was to recommend buying rocks, i would suggest that you aim to get as much as you can possible afford. This gives your the most creative scope with what you have to hand, plus you can smash some of the spear lesser rocks up to fill in gaps to create more of a natural composition.

Ive been looking through the Tropica catalog today trying to decide on some plants.
As it stands im going to have some Aponogeton Madagascar*****( Lace plant ), some Philippine Java fern, HC, Christmas moss, UG, Hair grass and a selection of stems and crypts. Ill get all these from The Green Machine this weekend.

Clive, love the name Unicorn, but im abit unsure for the wood is not solo. Maybe some reference to a kind of deer, Maybe a Latin influence from the Philippine Spotted Deer we have in the zoo, * scratches head*!

Cheers guys.

Well Ive planted it up now. I went to The Green Machine and came out with over £60 worth of Tropica plants. The problem is, when all the plants look so good its hard to stop buying! Its great being able to browse through the hundreds of plants and come away with exactly what you want, there and then, and you can pick your own, non of this, fingers crossed ill get HC and not Macrananthemum umbrosum or what ever, like some places I know of.

Plant list.
Rotala sp. ''green'' -2 pots
Ludwigia arcuata -1 pot
Hygrophila corymbosa ''Compact'' - 1 pot
Hygrophila corymbosa ''Red'' -1 pot
Bolbitis heudelotii -1 pot
Microsorum pteropus 'Philippine' -1pot
Aponogeton madagascariensis -1 pot
Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae - spare from an old tank.
Cryptocoryne parva - spare plant.
Cryptocoryne x willisii ( not sure if it is this one )
Eleocharis parvula - 3 pots
Riccia fluitans - spare plants
Willow moss - spare plants
Anubias barteri var. nana - spare plant

Co2 is set at 1 bps on for 24 hours a day.
Lighting is 6 hours. Im going to slowly increase this as It progresses.
No firts or fish just yet.

Cheers.

Lookin' good mate.

Will look great once filled in, I'm sure.

Good idea to limit light and ferts with low plant biomass.

How's the CO2 mist getting around with the Fluval 205? It might be better to have it go into the filter inlet.

Sorry, I clean forgot the JBL filter last time... You should have reminded me - I'm a scatter brain! I've still got one spare BTW.

Oi, Jim got the Rotala sp `green` for me. :lol:

Just joking, I already bought three pots.

Just to let you know, Graeme, my Hygrophila corymbosa `compact` suffered a big die off. It has spent about two weeks underwater, and I am still waiting for it to grow back. If you see yours dying off, I would recommend cutting off all the leaves to prevent ammonia triggering algae.

Dave.

just as a matter of interest Graeme and Dave, I too bought the hygrophila corymbosa 'compact' from the GreenMachine ( a popular little blighter! ), about 4 weeks ago and it is growing well, it's doubled in size, probably more down to luck than judgement!

Sam-, I think when the plants bed in and you see it for real you will change your mind. For me im very happy with that rock as it is.

George-, no worries on the filter, you can always bring it when you stay in April. The 205 is fine at the moment. Ive got on jet nozzle pointed down over the diffuser, so its blowing the mist back down and round, so it seems OK. Theres a nice flow around the tank.

Alexandre- Im not sure of fish, some kind of Rasbora. The Green Machine have a good selection of micro rasbora, so id like some of them. I love the way rasbory shoal. Very captivating.

Dave- lol, Jim did take the micky about you buying him out, well almost, i bought the pots you didn't! Hes kean to know what are the popular plants so he can get them in. He said hes going to order a load of Rotala green again.
Ill keep an eye on the Hygro, see what happens.

aaronnorth- cheers mate.

martin- hope my hygro does as well as yours has.

Fish are going in today. They are old stock and not what I want but needs must.
White cloud minnows, Pygmy Corry's, 2 other types of cory, a green goby and the odd random loner too.

Cheers.

Back