• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My new TDS pen

siddaa1

Trans Instruments Senz µSiemen Meter for Hydroponics, Hydroculture, Aquaculture | Eco City Hydroponics Singapore Online Store

Got it off ebay never used and for an absolute steal.

Slight problem..........the readings are in mili Siemen and I haven't got a clue what my TDS is hahaha, not only that but I think I'll need to purchase some 12.88ms calibration solution.

My reading out of the box is 0.1 which can't be right as it states that I would have ultra pure water which clearly straight outta the tap and in my new tank for 2 hours wouldn't be the case.

Any TDS or mili siemans boffins able to enlighten me on this please :/

1 milli seimen = 1000 micro seimens.
1.56 micro seimens = 1ppm tds

Makes sense Andy. Aren't I lucky having nice soft water :)

Nathaniel, yeah I thought that when it arrived but I presume it's very accurate and will last a long time.

Sorry Ollie just noticed your post there, using that formula my water today is now 192 TDS, I would imagine that a rise from 64 yesterday to 192 today would be about right? The waters fresh in as of yesterday and the first time the tank has been filled, there's debris floating etc.

Converting conductivity to TDS is basically impossible. It really depends on the type of dissolved solids to no how much electricity they conduct. Sodium chloride has another conversion (470-500) than potassium chloride (500-570) and a totally different conductivity than a large organic molecule. In practice the conversion of Andy D is probably closest, but you really can't put a real number in ppm. The problem with 'real' TDS meters is that they do the same as an EC meter. They measure conductivity and use a standard number to convert to TDS. Depending on the device this number is usually the one for sodium chloride and for our aquaria thus way off! Best to use an EC meter IMO;)

Converting conductivity to TDS is basically impossible. It really depends on the type of dissolved solids to no how much electricity they conduct. Sodium chloride has another conversion (470-500) than potassium chloride (500-570) and a totally different conductivity than a large organic molecule. In practice the conversion of Andy D is probably closest, but you really can't put a real number in ppm. The problem with 'real' TDS meters is that they do the same as an EC meter. They measure conductivity and use a standard number to convert to TDS. Depending on the device this number is usually the one for sodium chloride and for our aquaria thus way off! Best to use an EC meter IMO;)

Makes sense as I did read there was a conversion range. Typically you could multiply the figure by any number between 640 and 700 to be in the right area. 700 seems easiest to remember if nothing else.

I'm gonna use it to regulate the increase, as long as the inhabitants are happy and my numbers stay within a relative parameter I'll be happy :)

Back