• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my ottos cant find the food i give it.

Ottos eat soft algae on plants, wood and the tank glass. They can also be fed algae wafers and soft pellets, along with slices of courgette and pepper. It can take a while for them to recognise supplementary things as food so you may need to try different ones around the tank at different times. As @PARAGUAY says, if they have competition they can be shy coming out to feed.

I do find the same problem. Mine ignore algae wafers and rarely eat the courgette or sweet potato I add. And my ember tetras want to live on live BBS, and mostly ignore everything else. Sometimes keeping fish is like living with fussy teenagers!

I forgot to mention dried botanicals (it's an age thing...) Dry dead leaves such as beech or oak and alder cones can be collected for free. I pour boiling water over them & leave 24hrs so they sink. The leaves will decompose slowly & develop biofilm which the Ottos can graze on.
Mine don't like algae wafers either! They prefer Love Fish Plec Pellets from Pets at Home. I crumble a little bit in the tank every day.

It could be a case of try different foods and veg ,mine like baby spinach and you might have to observe them . It could be your one is getting biofilm and algae anyway. I would aim to have 4 to6 they are happier in numbers and plenty of plants makes them less shy. You could put the fresh veg on a suction cup veg clip in the same place raised about substrate . It's takes a day or two for them to find it .
there was only one in the shop im getting another once there in stock i put in zucchini and algae wafers

Best way to feed Otocinclus is filling a bucket with rocks/pebbles/wood, fill it with water and keeping it outside. These will develop a biofilm on them (the slimey stuff) which Otocinclus love.

There's also food from Dr. Bassleer, but I have no experience with it.

Otocinclus are generally not a very good choice for a community tank, unless it's an old, aged tank. The little food there is, they consume it in a few days and often die off before getting used to tablets or vegetables or such. A group can be tricky to keep alive, because they end up being food competitors for eachother.

Courgette is a good start, at least they have recognised something you put in the tank as food. Try some different veggies like peppers in the clips & they will probably look to them first when they're hungry.

Try repashy, it’s a powder that you add water too, this creates a paste. You can dip a stone or anything with a smooth surface really in the repashy and let it set.

It’s brilliant for feeders like Otos, plecos etc…..

Back