• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My planted Juwel 400 project!

REDSTEVEO said:
WOW :wideyed: £550.OO sounds like you got an absolute bargain mate and what a transformation on the planting.

Are the 4 x T5 Lights perfectly adequate for the size of the tank.

Great job!

The lights are bit on the strong side according to some when Co2 and nurients arn't being used regularly. I had problems with my Co2 so was without it for weeks and some of the plants started melting so I'm down to 2 lights at a time now even though the Co2 and EI dosing is regular now. Will probably keep with 2 lights for first 4 hours and overlap them for 2 hours with the other 2 and then keep them on and turn the first 2 off (all on timer)

Just changed to using the UP Inline atomizer and what a difference it makes. I've got far better flow with my allponds 1400l/h and the co2 is coming out more in a mist of finer bubbles ..... I also swapped the position of the spraybars so that my staurogynes will get a well need blast and also moved the powerhead over to add with distribution.

Now we need some recent photos of the tank ;) :thumbup:

Not much change tbh but I've around 200 new plants ordered and getting some rocks aswell so a bit of a rescape on the cards as soon as they arrive. Mosty stem plants that should do well in my set-up ...... before and after pics later in the week .... watch this space :)

am i right in believing you have used a reducer on one of your filter outlet pipes? this may be why the flow is reduced. i have an aps 2000lph external and i have had to use a "y splitter" to put smaller hoses on so i can attach equipment without reducing flow...

Yeah thats the way I had it done .... but wasn't happy with the mixer/reactor anyway so happy now :)

Hey Murf, great tank mate.
Im down in Carrickfergus here and planning on doing something similar on my Juwel 180.

How have you found the Sodastream Co2. - how long does a bottle last you?
Im confused by the Sodastream website - it says a 60 LITRE (??!!) bottle is only £20 and then a tenner for refills?! Surely that can't be right - that's a 60kg bottle, isn't it?! o_O

Hey Murf, great tank mate.
Im down in Carrickfergus here and planning on doing something similar on my Juwel 180.

How have you found the Sodastream Co2. - how long does a bottle last you?
Im confused by the Sodastream website - it says a 60 LITRE (??!!) bottle is only £20 and then a tenner for refills?! Surely that can't be right - that's a 60kg bottle, isn't it?! o_O

Hi Andrew, bout ye! My first sodastream bottle lasted me 13 days !! Im hoping that was due to loss because of initial setup problems. I was using a mixer/reactor and I think I lost alot of co2 in that. Today I fitted the UP inline atomizer and Im only having to set the flow to 1-2 bubbles per second compared to 8-9 to get the drop checker green. The size of bubbles were not doing the plants any justice so hopefully that problem will be solved from now on. I changed my bottle on christmas eve so will see if I get longer out of it this time and then hopefully longer again when I use a full bottle through the atomizer. A 60 litre sodastream is nowhere near as big as say a 2kg Fire Extinguisher. I am seriously considering going down this route but to date have not found anyone locally that can do refills, so atm £9.99 aint that bad. Obviously with a smaller tank you wont go through as much.

Hi Andrew, bout ye!
:D lol, nice to "hear" a local accent hehe.

Ive worked out what the sodaStream website means when it says a 60L bottle - it MAKES up to 60L of their fizzy drink.
Absolutely no where (that I can find) on their site does it actually tell you how big the bottle is... but on another website I found some guys mentioning it was about 400g so as you say, much smaller than a fire extinguisher.

Think I will stick with the FE route for now.

As for filling - you can get them done at BOC gases (right beside Exotic Aquatics!) for £7.
Ned Thompson is the man is ask for on that one.
HTH.
Andrew. :)

:D lol, nice to "hear" a local accent hehe.

Ive worked out what the sodaStream website means when it says a 60L bottle - it MAKES up to 60L of their fizzy drink.
Absolutely no where (that I can find) on their site does it actually tell you how big the bottle is... but on another website I found some guys mentioning it was about 400g so as you say, much smaller than a fire extinguisher.

Think I will stick with the FE route for now.

As for filling - you can get them done at BOC gases (right beside Exotic Aquatics!) for £7.
Ned Thompson is the man is ask for on that one.
HTH.
Andrew. :)

Yeah they are small. That particular BOC depot would be no use to me, but I did message my local BOC depot and they said they couldnt do it. Maybe I'll go down and see them instead.

Nice big tank.

From Omagh myself, now living in Belfast. Anywhere that sells FE should refill them. A google search revealed a place in campsie road that probably do it. A & B fire equipment.

Nice big tank.

From Omagh myself, now living in Belfast. Anywhere that sells FE should refill them. A google search revealed a place in campsie road that probably do it. A & B fire equipment.

A fellow Omy fishlover ..... I was chatting to one of them guys and they send all their FE's away to England to get refilled :(

At what cost? it might be worth while having 2 FE. While one is away getting filled you have the other.

I have to say it's definitely more costly living in N.ireland getting things.

I have a 120 litre reef and 180 planted tank. Just started an iwagumi in the rio 180. Early days but hopping the HC will form a nice carpet LOL.

Im hoping to open a shop within the next year .... as you say very few aquascaping shops around ..... aquaworld in dublin being the only dedicated one in the country. Alot of sourcing being done at the minute ;)

Wow, thats interesting.:thumbup:

I didn't even know about aquaworld. I'm going down to dublin in a few weeks. I was going to pop into seahorse aquariums and I notice that shop is close. Excellent.

Finally after 6 hours of planting the tank is looking much better and more colourful. I decided to go with a jungle/dutch look (or a mess if you like lol). I didn't want to uproot everything that was already there so moved a few things around and removed the odd looking dolphin shaped bogwood. I ripped up the carpet of dwarf sag and it was unbelievable the amount of runners it had, it came up in one piece more or less. I replanted it as it had gone every direction and planted some Giant Vallis in the middle of it as I was trying to create different planting areas towards the front so as I can experiment on what grows well and what doesn't as I havent had much luck with carpets yet. Hopefully the plants survive now as it will be interesting to see if they shoot up as I have visioned in my head. I'm going to keep on top of it with pruning etc as I want them to grow into nice well cultivated bushes. Its a dream at the minute as to how it will turn out, lets hope it does. Its a very experimental tank just for my own interests, it will serve me well in the future when I do other Aquascapes. Any comments please feel free to say.

Just before planting ........

5E561CC3-8BCC-4D2D-B752-CF43844E7315-2737-0000021A9B80CF02.jpg

Some shots after the gruelling 6 hour plant off lol ........

05344482-510F-4868-A67F-65E4150DEF6B-2737-0000021A920A0BCA.jpg

D9463E4C-FEC4-4C55-AFD3-847BA7FA494D-2737-0000021A8D4AF685.jpg

D550823B-D954-41FD-BEEA-7900EA2A9DDC-2737-0000021A882F422B.jpg

43513EB3-B02F-423C-A31D-A36E92ED4907-2737-0000021A8356DC59.jpg

00BE410D-1352-40E4-9BE6-96309A7932C6-2737-0000021A7E906DB1.jpg

BD15D867-1170-4140-9DF7-652433661913-2737-0000021A96F7AAAD.jpg

Back