• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My planted Juwel 400 project!

Anyone any ideas as to the best way to even the flow for my tank? Need some expert advice as to the best way. Heres my set up so far .....
5ft Juwel Rio 400
1 x Allponds 1400l/h +uv with UP inline atomizer
1 x All ponds 2000l/h
1 x Newwave 600-1600l/h powerhead

flowproblem.jpg

The drop checker is green but I know that flow isn't quite right as its difficult to work out how best to do it with minimal costs. In my own mind I think that I should invest in another UP inline atomizer and split the Co2 to both filters, the problem being the size of hosing on the 2000l/h is bigger than the 16/20mm atomizer. Maybe a longer spraybar across the full 5ft but then I don't think the allponds would be powerful enough on their own to work a spraybar that length plus I need the 2 filters for flow anyway. Maybe I should change to an fx5 with one spraybar? I dunno what would work best so if Clive or anyone could guide me here please!

Why are the spraybars at different heights? Why is there a gap in the middle? Why is the Powerhead mounted on the right side wall? What effect do you think the green arrow has on the blue arrows?

Cheers,

Why are the spraybars at different heights? Why is there a gap in the middle? Why is the Powerhead mounted on the right side wall? What effect do you think the green arrow has on the blue arrows?

Cheers,

The alps 2000 spraybar has a piece on it that brings it that far down into the tank otherwise the bend over the tank wouldn't be resting in the rim of the tank and sticking up not allowing me to close the hood flap, I might have to saw the piece down a bit maybe. There is a gap in the middle because thats the length of the spray bars. The powerhead is on the right is helping to push Co2 over to the far side of the tank. It's nowhere near perfect I know but unsure as to the best solution. I could try this and that but if I can bypass my own errors in trying and get the best advice it would speed things up and cost me less in the long run. What are your solutions Clive? Please help !

To save some cash for the time being since you have enough filtration you could just move the two spraybars to the middle of the tank and place a pump in each side for extra flow:

5e561cc38bcc4d2db752cf4.jpg

Should do the trick!

To save some cash for the time being since you have enough filtration you could just move the two spraybars to the middle of the tank and place a pump in each side for extra flow:

5e561cc38bcc4d2db752cf4.jpg

Should do the trick!

Thanks LD, It is an idea, however, I would need to cut into the rim of the juwel tank so as the pipework can hangover the tank. I wouldn't be able to close the flaps on the lid otherwise and if I cut the rim, it might detract from the price if selling it in the future at some point. I just done my weekly water change and for the 2nd week running my alps 2000 stopped working when the water level got down to a certain point. I thought it might be clogged so decided to give it a clean, but it still never came back on until I got the water level back over the spraybar and primed it again. Loads of gunk came through and I more or less decided then that they have to go! The power of the water coming through them anyway is pathetic and is no more than a trickle. Would an fx5 be ample on its own to run a 450l planted tank? If so I'm going to change to the fluval fx5 and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with a step by step guide on making a spray bar that would fit the length of the tank.

How about putting the 1400 with the co2 along the short axis of the tank to the right side. That means the spray bar is shortened and will increase the intensity of the flow. Keep the 2000 as is and put the powerhead on the left side, low down and more parallel to the tank floor.

Just an idea until you think about an equipment upgrade.

How about putting the 1400 with the co2 along the short axis of the tank to the right side. That means the spray bar is shortened and will increase the intensity of the flow. Keep the 2000 as is and put the powerhead on the left side, low down and more parallel to the tank floor.

Just an idea until you think about an equipment upgrade.

Wouldn't think there is enough wack from the 1400 tbh. After about a foot or so it would fade out and not do very much.

Would an fx5 be ample on its own to run a 450l planted tank?
It will be a step in the right direction, if not enough then you can still increase flow with a power head.

Just found this interesting article on Aquaessentials and its by Mark Evans on his larger tank Spray Bar | The Planted Aquarium Blog . I think I will try this and although I don't have a lily pipe, I will just take the 2000 spray bar off and allow the flow to run along the back of the tank towards the right hand side where the Co2 spray bar is and it should pick up the co2 and flow and create and circular flow (aided by powerhead) around the tank clock-wise. Agree?

co2problem.jpg

Back