• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Rio 180

Viv

This is my first planted tank, started in February of this year. Had problems to begin with including a disastrous attempt at having a divided subtrate and MAJOR algae issues primarily to do with a lack of circulation. Anyway, all has been running well for a while now and everything that survived my earlier ineptitude is growing nicely at last!

rio180_01_12_11.jpg

Its a bit higgledy piggledy for a number of reasons but this tank has mostly been about learning!! Currently using aqua carbon but I intend switching to CO2 in the New Year (gulp).

Viv

Thanks :) Its got an eheim 2213 running but I added a cheap 1600lph internal with spray bar to get more circulation when I was combating algae. I intended on replacing it eventually with another external but I've got used to it now, and the rcs seem to like using it to hide in :D

Viv

Hi Viv,

Well it's looking good on your combination, I am just in the process of setting up my rio 180 using an Ehiem 2075, I have the Ehiem installation kits and having problems getting them in side by side so the the strainer intake and out flow pipe ar in the same corner, I don't really fancy hacking the tank about.

I put mine in at opposite ends (thinking about circulation over the whole tank) and the spray bar was pointing longwise down the tank. Spray bars are front to back now but the internal and the eheim intake are both at one end. I could do with changing it round so intake is at the same end as the outlet 'cos one corner is a bit neglected. Will get around to it soon - maybe the next time I turn the filter off to replace the white pad.

Viv

Thought I'd post a photo without the floating pogostemon! (It was awaiting postage). I've changed the wood on the left slightly too - seriously considering getting an external heater!!

rio180_08_12_11.jpg

Viv

Looking really nice that mate - I put a hydor external 300 on my Rio 180 and have to say its the best thing I've bought - temperature is very even and accurate. :thumbup:

Thanks :) I was thinking the 200w would be enough but I'll go for the 300!
Hm, I have a question: I only have one external on this tank but the CO2 diffuser I want is an inline one. Can I have this and an external heater on the same filter?

Viv

Hi guys, I also have a Rio 180. Bear in mind that any kind of inline equipment you use will drastically impede flow rates, I currently run a Eheim 2026 with a AM1000 reactor, and I have noticed a big drop in flow. I also want to go down the in-line heater route so I am currently trolling ebay, and the classified adds looking for filter with a much higher turnover so I can run both the reactor, and heater and still have sufficient flow for my tanks volume!

What in-line reactor were you looking at viv?

i've just setup the rio 180 with dual filters using the tetra tec pipework intake and outtake kits, two at each end. They fit.

Best Regards,
John

I found that the UP Atomizer does not restrict flow as much as the inline I`m currently using. Be aware though, with the UP you will need to be able to obtain a 2bar working pressure on your reg, the UP only works at this pressure. And I believe not all regulators are adjustable?

I had good success when using mine, However, I just recently swapped my Up for an AM1000 as the mist that the unit produced was just not for me. As a diffussion method though I couldn`t fault it. It worked great, but In the end, I decided to look at alternative methods... Personal preference I suppose? :D

I am in a similar situation to yourself, with my Eheim 2026 external (950lph) it is no where near enough turnover for a tank of our size, never mind the filter media, and the additional inline equipment that I run?? I am looking at upgrading to something like the Fluval FX5 (2300lph plenty of flow, you can add both the in-line reactor, and the heater, do away with internal powerheads, and still achieve the 10x rule? :D

All the Co2 kit I'm aiming to have was recommended to me by someone who uses it so it should all work together. He did warn me about the 2 bar pressure bit - and having all screw together connections so they could handle it!

After looking at the fx5 I decided I didn't like it. Too squat and bulky for me and I've heard the barrels on the clamps break easily - although I do know of someone who can make new ones from metal. I prefer the look of the eheim 2260 and if I had the money right now I'd be buying this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eheim-ext...pplies_Fish&hash=item256a148954#ht_518wt_1139 (don't know if you're interested at all! :D ).

Viv

Cheers for the link mate, but currently watching something else on ebay. Auction finsishes later, will report back if I win. :thumbup:

Are the tall plants in the middle Vallis? whats your secret mine always melt away.

There is vallis all along the back and they took forever to start growing tall. Now they're growing like mad. As to why, my best guess is its the carbon. This tank does have eco-complete mixed in the under-layer and it's fertilised with dry salts but the vallis in my 450 also started growing tall after I dosed it regularly with carbon to help clear up some BBA, and that tank has a plain gravel and sand substrate and no ferts.
Sorry to put a different tank in here but look:
vision_09_12_11.jpg

The vallis in the back of this tank wasn't visible about 5 ago. After the carbon it started shooting away. I've moved vallis from one tank to another before and had it melt away but it did come back. Vallis is a bit contrary! Sometimes it melts, other times it doesn't - at least in my limited experience.

Viv

Back