• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My rio 240 planted discus tank

Re: Rio 240,hc emmersed setup

I guess you'd only need to use dechlorinator if your water supply is has chlorination.

Cheers,

Well i ordered my filter(tetratec ex1200) and heater(hydor external) from warehouse aquatics,they turned up quick would buy from again.
Placed on order with plants alive and waiting for it to turn up,i just picked plants that i liked the look of :lol:
Heteranthera Zosterfolia or Sea Grass
Bacopa monnerii
Blyxa Japonica Dwarf soft rush
Microsorium Pteropus Java Fern
Ludwigia Mullertii (L. Repens) or Red Ludwigia
Tonina Fluviatilas
Limnophilia Aromatica
Eleocharis Parvulus
Eleocharis Vivipara Tall hairgrass
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Cryptocoryne Becketii
Didiplis Diandra or Water Hedge

Then ive got some flame moss from london dragon,some dwarf sag and ferns from a1matt and some other members are posting me some more plants out soon :p
I've got some ricca,an unknown plant and java moss from my last tank that im also going to use.

Well plants arrived today(postie was well late :rolleyes: )

So spent tonight planting up,first attempt and the wood decieded that it hadnt been soaked enough floating to the top pulling up plants as it went :twisted: :!:

I then weighed it down and planted it up again :rolleyes: ,heres a couple of shots though you cant really see much as the waters that cloudy :rolleyes:
image014ie9.jpg

image024zp9.jpg

I've got some dwarf sag to fill in the gap above and a couple more different plants
Not sure if a like the plant placement so no dont ill be fiddle them around a bit :lol:

Looks good. Has the water cleared yet?

From I've read of Tonina it only grows in soft water, so it'll be interesting to see how you get on with it. Didiplis always looks nice as well, though never tried it myself.

No the water hasnt cleared up yet hopefully tonight tho,so will post some more shots if it has :D

Yeah i read that about the tonnia aswell but thought i would try it out as i liked the look of it :lol:

Graham plants turned up this morning cheers mate :D

Waters still rather cloudy and i've done a couple of water changes like tom barr suggests,it probally doesnt help the fact that i keep moving plants about :lol:

steve2tanks said:
it probally doesnt help the fact that i keep moving plants about :lol:
ADA Aquasoil and moving things about a bad combination lol it will settle eventually just keep changing that water ;)

Well heres a couple of shots taken from my phone(hence lack of quality)
image025sw9.jpg

Thats the shot i see when im watching telly :D
image026yf2.jpg

Here's the diffuser and the hair grass in the bckground
image027ev6.jpg

Heres where all the plants are bluked up at,i dont really like it but just trying it out for now :lol:
image028ur3.jpg

Picture of the crypt's not sure if i like them now there in the tank :lol:
image029cf7.jpg

Here's a genaral shot of the main corner of plants

Just over a week later and it seems to be going alright apart from some green fluffy algae in places on the "HC" :mad:
image042ut6.jpg

The "hC" is still spreading out tho :eek:
image036bw3.jpg

Here's some close up shots that i like(not bad for my phone :lol: )
image041lt8.jpg

image040jx6.jpg

image032vw9.jpg

image031iy8.jpg

The blyxa doesnt seem to be growing much at all :?
image030zq1.jpg

Please ignore the algae on the glass and the crpyts :rolleyes:

Is that hairgrass vivipara? Should be careful with that stuff, it can start to look like matted hair... unless you like it :)
In regards to the algae, I think you just need to get the bacteria cycle started and make a few good water changes.
Guessing you've got ammonia, but from what I've read and been told on Tom Barr's site, emersed method should negate any ammonia leeching from Aqua Soil. So yours must be from the lack of bacteria in the filter?

Yeah im doing water changes every day to try and keep the ammonia down,i still think the aqua soil is leeching some ammonia out.

Yeah it is hairgrass vivipara,ive never tried it before so just seen how it grows :D

Well a short update just to show off the start of the live stock :lol:
dsci0034ap1.jpg

Got four of these apple snails and three stripy apple snails from ebay,also bought 5 ottos from lfs as the water readings were all ok,but havent had to chance to photo them as there two fast :lol:

Well tanks still coming along nicely,plants are still growing and the algae seems to be dying off :wideyed: ,i went to one of the fish shops round here just for a look as you do and i saw these two discus which i couldnt resist at £35 for the pair(most shops round here charge that for one :!: )
image007cv8.jpg

The only thing that seems wrong with them to me(first time ive kept discus) is their fins so im treating them with melafix,i tried them on some frozen bloodworm just before taking the photo and they ate a few which im pleased with as its the first time i tried feeding them as i read its best to wait a bit.

Ooh, nice! It's going to look great once it grows in. I don't have the guts for Discus myself but those are beautiful!
Glad to hear your algae is on the retreat. I seem to grow algae just as well as my plants in my big tank, so I've sort of settled with the fact that visible algae is part of the attraction :)

jay said:
Can't see pics mate.

Dunno why you cant see them :?
Cheers YzemaN,ive always loved discus but was put off by the price so when i saw these i thought i have to have them :lol:

Back