• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My rio 240 planted discus tank

Re: Rio 240,hc emmersed setup

jay said:
Can't see pics mate.
Couldn't see most of my photos on imageshack yesterday either, couldn't have been a problem with one of their servers, my sig pics were not displaying either ;)

Nice looking Discus, even though I am not a fan of them, good luck ;)

I've heard people using the algarde worm feeder's with good results. Means the Discus get the food when they want without flooding the whole tank with bloodworm which is high in protein and in large quantities can decrease water quality. For £35 they are gorgeous! Good luck with the treatment.

Yeah i've seen them feeders before,wasnt sure if it works with frozen food :?:

Well they are taking bloodworm and tetra prima so im happier now that they eating,albeit not as fast i would of thought they would but theres only them 2 so no compition for them yet.

Only problem is the algae is starting to come back i suspect because there isnt enough co2 for the plants as i read the water needs aireating when treating with melafix :?:

Well the tank was doing great a couple of weeks ago,then due to family stuff i didnt have time for it and algae took over most of the hc :arghh:

I'm on trying to get the tank back on track,just today i ordered a Hydor Koralia 1 and a tetra tec ex700 for use with a reactor i got a few weeks back to try and help with flow and co2 distribution

The plants used to pearl most of the day when the lights were on but i cant seem to get them to grow at the minute :(

A quick update,got my new filter the tetra tec ex700 as it come with 12mm hose to fit my reactor and a Hydor Koralia 1,set the reactor up and it was leaking :twisted: so ditched that and stuck with the glass diffuser :(

So for flow i have a tetra tec ex1200,a ex700 and a hydor koralia 1 that should be enough flow, yes :?:

My macro nutrient mix is;
10 teaspoons of Potassium Nitrate
2 and a half teaspoons of Potassium Phosphate
dissolved in 500ml RO/deionised or distilled water which i dose 40ml a day which is just under double of the "setting up a higher tech planted tank" to try and get the plants to grow

My micro nutrient is; 3 teaspoons of Trace Element mix
5 teaspoons of Potassium Sulphate
dissolved in 500ml RO/deionised or distilled water which i dose 20 ml a day which again is just under double of the "setting up a higher tech planted tank" to try and get the plants to grow

I also dose easy carbo at 5ml a day to help with algae

Should i be dosing anything else or not?

Heres some pics to show its current state(sorry for bad pics its phone)
dsci0001ap6.jpg

dsci0002vx8.jpg

dsci0003dc0.jpg

The lights are on for 9 hrs at the 2 t5 lights and reflectors and do 50% water change a week.

I took out all the apple snails as i think they may have been eating the plants as a lot of the plants have bite marks in them :( the only livestock in the tank are a pair of discus and 8 rummy nose tets and a few little snails(im after some trumpet snails but the postage is a rip off on eaby for most of them :twisted: )

Cheers steve

trust me you DO NOT want trumpet snails. (if you do, go to fishforums.net and ask) most people say as many as you want for the cost of a self adressed envelope.

anyway, i have the same tank (rio 240) and was wondering:

1) what lights you have as in type (t8 or t5) and wattage.
2) what plants grew well for you
3) wat your co2 is set at.

beeky said:
Got any decent pics yet? ;)

Well what a few weeks its been :mad:
Had workmen in doing rewireing,putting gas in,in a few days time getting new windows and doors so the tanks not looking to great :( but i'll try and get a photo tonight for you if i can find the camera :lol:

The lights are the t5's 54 watt each

As for plants the only one that didnt survive the 1st week was Red Ludwigia,it just melted away :rolleyes:

As for co2 i dont know as i dont use a bubble counter,but the drop checker is green :lol:

well found the camera but the pictures are still crap,think i need a new camera

Near full tank shot
dsci0001ed0.jpg

Close up of one of the Discus
dsci0002mz8.jpg

Some of the rummys(love these fellas there great :p )
dsci0004vv5.jpg

And a crap close up of the amano shrimp :lol:
dsci0007os6.jpg

Comments welcome :!:

whats the bushy plant to the left of the discus in the first pic?

thas what i will get, i had it on my list. as i have the same tank as you, il try to base some of my specs on yours, at the mo, i have 2 40w T8's on an I bar but i will add a second I bar which will have 2x54w T5, which will cover the front. and the t8 over the back. i love it, looks really good. love the discus.

Thanks alot mate,i dont think the discus really go with the scape but i cant part with them lol.

When you setting this tank up or have you allready started?

not yet, am still getting the bits and bobs. i have the expensive bits to come. i need 2x Tetratec EX1200's, my lighting I bar + the 2 t5 tubes + 2 new t8's + a small t8 for my other tank. (get tubes from light bulb shop, not aquatic places!) i need my co2 system,the fire extinguisher route. which will cost me about £100. so all in all abut another 250 to be spent.
i have the substrate ready!

Yeah its an expensive hobby isnt it :twisted:

Thats were i went wrong at the start didnt have enough flow with only one tetra tec ex1200,but with 2 ex1200 i'd have to have the fire extingusher outside the tank cabinet so i went with an ex700(fits inside cabinet with fire extigusher) and the hydor korilia 1 for extra flow

yeah, i will just get the 2 ex1200's for now and see how they go. i dont mind where the FE goes tbh, i just want it all set up and running!!! what ferts do you dose mate?

I use dry powders from aqua esstientials, I followed the article on here "setting up a higher tech tank" ;) its a good read if you havent allready read it.

Back