• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My rio 240 planted discus tank

Re: Rio 240,hc emmersed setup

steve2tanks said:
What happened to it,did it just die off completely?
Yep just started melting away one day and after a couple of weeks was all gone! Nothing changed in the tank, same maintnance, some CO2, same ferts, same light, was bizarre.

Ohh sorry to hear that mate,hopefully mine dosent do the same as ill have no plants left in the tank :lol:

Have you since losing all of it, tried anymore?

Hi steve,i think you have a lovely setup and i love the discus,where did you get the blyxa from,regards john.

Got them from plants alive when i first started the the tank up 5 for £3.45

steve2tanks said:
Got them from plants alive when i first started the the tank up 5 for £3.45

Hi Steve,thanks for the info,regards john

No problem john :D
Been messing with the new camara,still learning how to use it :lol:
sdc10059mx2.jpg

Feeding time :lol:
sdc10068gb7.jpg

Full tank at feeding time
sdc10067fj9.jpg

Right so my tank is stocked with the discus, 8 rummys and 6 albino corys and a few otos,how many more rummys would be ok in here as i want to up the shoal quite abit :?:

Cheers steve

A quick update
sdc10078fs0.jpg

See the size next to the rummys :lol:
sdc10083az3.jpg

I've bought another 2 discus last weekend this time there alot smaller as im having a go at growing them on,remeber this is the 1st time ive kept discus and its only my second tropical tank.

I sold quite a bit of the blxya trimmings over the week so its not looking that great now so no full tank shots :rolleyes:

I've installed an inline reactor yesturday but not sure its working that great,drop checker was green so im hoping its ok.

Was chuffed when i got the pfk weekly update email to see my tank :oops:

Was doing the water change today and saw that the blyxa is flowering,couldnt really get a good picture of them
blxyaflowerfh8.jpg

You can just see the one there but there is a few flowers :D

It's still looking fantastic, and the discus are looking great too. Mustn't let the missus see, she'll be after something similar (on second thoughts ;) )

Thanks,yeah my other half loves the discus but i dont think she likes the price of them or fishkeeping :rolleyes: :lol:

Well time for another update :D The plants are still growing well especailly the blyxa,infact its growing to much and shadowing the hc :twisted:

The surface has covered in an oily film,i tryed pointing the spray bar upwards more to break it up and that didnt work,i've used kitchen roll to try and get some up but doesnt really work dunno what to try next but it looks disgusting :arghh:
sdc10099be6.jpg

Went to do the weekly water change and noticed that the 2 large discus are spawning(well the little ones trying to and the big ones eating them :twisted: :arghh: )Its the first time that they've done it in the tank i only use tap water so didn't expect them to even try :lol:

Will have more blyxa to sell soon as it needs a really good trim ;)

Time for a few water changes and some surface movement there ;) If you ever have too much Blyxa you can always send me some! ;) Thats what I am missing at the moment hehe

Well didnt want to do the water change tonight as was letting the discus do there thing(is it weird to watch fish spawn :? :lol: )

Dont really know what to do with the blyxa i could do with pulling it up and starting again with it as its growing that fast its at the water top in no time
sdc10102tz4.jpg

So this probally isnt helping with the oily scum as its blocking flow,but i like opening the tank and seeing flowers, i'll have to trim it totally down to try and get rid of the scum

I trimmed all the plants down and done a water change and the oily film has gone :D

Time for an update:
sdc10155.jpg

sdc10147u.jpg

As you can see the hc has now nearly all gone as its been shadowed to much by the blyxa,the dwarf hairgrass that i started with and i thought had died is now starting to slowly creep along the bottom.

sdc10154.jpg

I increased the numbers of rummy nose and what a diffence its made they are always out and about where they hid most of the day before

Been reading up on bristlenose plecs and cant decide whether to get some or not anyone had any experience with them and plants?

Back