• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My rio 240 planted discus tank

Re: Rio 240,hc emmersed setup

Quick update,
sdc10213v.jpg

sdc10215n.jpg

Needs another water change as its still cloudly from uprooting the plants

And another update
sdc10227.jpg

sdc10225.jpg

sdc10239.jpg

sdc10240.jpg

sdc10229.jpg

sdc10236r.jpg

sdc10227d.jpg

Cant seem to get the hairgrass to grow,i chop it right down then it just gets covered in algae,leave it to grow and it doesnt spread :twisted:
Alot of the swords are getting algae on there leaves,but the discus dont seem to like the co2 up high so cant win :rolleyes:

Comments welcome :!:

It's looking great Steve, nice one!

Just a little niggle, I find the large rock in the middle front of the tank very distracting.

Have you thought about adding a few bunches of fast growing stems to keep algae at bay? I'm sure someone on here could sort you out with a load after a trim. ;)

See thats what i didnt what to do as i got rid of the blxya because it was too fast growing,i've got some valis in there as well but it hasnt started to grow yet(probally becauese use excel)
Also the stem plants held alot of the food up that the discus cant get to affecting the water quality,it would be soo much easier to have a bare tank for them :rolleyes:

The rock does stand out in the picture but it doesnt in the flesh imo

Just realised some of the photos has the black sucker left from when i done a water change DOH lol

Another update :rolleyes: :lol: These are all just took with a phone seems to take a reasonable picture to me :lol:
Full Tank
p11060916510001.jpg

Albino Cory,love these darting up to the top and back down again :lol:
p04060922010001.jpg

Grubs up lol,it allready has plenty to eat with all the algae :rolleyes:
p11060917010002.jpg

Think its about time it had a name change to the thread tho :lol: What shall i call it hmmm

Comments welcome

hi steve, its been excelent watching the progression of your tank...and i cant belive the growth rate of the blyxa :wideyed:
sdc10067fj9.jpg

this has to be my favorite stage of your tank, i love the size of the Blyxa and i think it suits the discus rely well ;)
keep up the good work!

That was my favourite picture aswell,it was the one featured in pfk mag aswell :D

Im not too happy with it at the minute but wanted a change to the blyxa,ive still got some in another tank so may use some again but not sure :?

Well its been a good while since an update but just showing how its progressing,still no CO2 been used,no exel either so have a little algae on some sword leaves :silent:
Thanks oatfish(heather) for the plants :thumbup:
p10090921150001.jpg

p10090921150002.jpg

p10090921150003.jpg

p10090921150004.jpg

p10090921160002.jpg

That hairgrass still hasnt grown,but hasnt died either :bored:

That middle stone still shows up whiote in the pictures,dunno if its my phone cam or what :crazy:

Cant seem to get the water crystal clear it always has floaty bits in it,its really annoying i've put polishing pads in the filter but hasnt done anything :?:

It's looking nice! The discus must love it.

Can I ask why you removed the external? I would personally have kept it... Maybe try a pump to get some water movement, that would probably help clarity aswell.

Ive still got the 2 external filters and the Koralia 1 for flow.

Yeah the discus are doing well in it :thumbup:

Been a while,i've been busy with life and the tank has been totally negelected.

I sold off some of the discus(got 5 left),and my breeding bristlenose pair, to keep waste down and help with the less maintaince i was doing(big mistake :crazy: )

It seemed to be ticking over fine,plant grow was slow,no major algae then i went away for a few days over x-mas to come back to what appeared to be slme all over the plants and tank glass,i read up on it and it seemed to me BGA.

I assumed it was down to the lack of maintaince i had been doing on the tank,so for the last three months i have been performing alot more maintaince on the tank,it seems to be working but very slowly,BGA grows quick :thumbdown:

I lost alot of the plants i had but heres a picture to show whats left

sdc10002c.jpg

I've been trying to get to the LFS to try and pick up some stems to fill it out a bit but they are always sold out/crap left over.

Still cant get the water crystal clear,both externals contain polishing pads,its annoying as when i look at tanks on her they are clear :?

Get some purigen to give you crystal clear water,I'll be amazed if that dosen,t do it,you can regenerate it too,

John

Allready got some in both filters,its more like small particles floating and not been sucked into the filter,Thanks for the suggestion John tho

viper3770 said:
Hi Mate,

Can I ask what you feed those FANTASTIC Discus on?...

Feed them on Tetra Prima,Beefheart,frozen bloodworm,thanks for the interest :thumbup:

Thanks George,thats some food for thought,the tank looks great,but i feel the crypts break the right side up so the small fish have somewhere to hide when the discus spwan and can be aggressive to them,dunno whether to just get some more crypts to fill it up more but the ones i've got dont grow but dont die either.

For now though just trying to get this BGA under control,clean the tank on a night, get up the next morning and its starting to form on the gravel again, don't know if i can do a total blackout as not sure how the discus would be with no food,suppose in the wild they dont get it handed to them just dont want to starve them :crazy:

Cheers steve

A 72hr blackout is your best bet at ridding BGA.

1. Clean as much BGA as possible, clean vacuum gravel etc.
2. Clean filter.
3. 50% water change.
4. 3 day blackout (turn off CO2, increase surface movement).
5. Clean any detritus/dead BGA etc.
6. 50% water change.
7. Address cause of BGA.

Discus should be fine without food for 3 days. They're big fish (relatively speaking) and I'm sure you've been feeding them plenty before, so will have plenty in reserve.

Good luck.

A quick update
sdc10010s.jpg

Had a bit of a play around think this looks better than how i had it,yes/no??

Been doing 80ltr water change every day cleaning the BGA but it seems to have slowed right down for now.

Should i still be dosing ferts or not as i dont run C02,will the plants be getting enough from the aquasoil or not?

Suggestions welcome :thumbup:

Back