• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my (rubbish) planted tanks

catxx

Poor attempts but hey.

Shrimp tank:
3543039089_dccf89fd3f.jpg

Endler tank:
3339634390_75260931bd.jpg

They're both around the 30L mark ish.

Hello and welcome Catxx.

I think your being a little hard on yourself classing them as rubbish. :lol:

I see no algae, blue gravel or pirate ships. :D

Regards,

Dan.

hehehe thanks. it's difficult to do any kind of high end in these fixed-lid tanks. I'd like to rescape the square one, but haven't worked out what to do yet without bugging the shrimp too much.

Yeh, we all start in the same place, knowing diddly squat! So go easy on yourself :) My 'best' tank is actually the community tank that has two java ferns in it. Both are lush, green, the fish love it :) it's not necessarily all about getting a green carpet, any tank with plants in it, can be a 'planted tank' IMHO :)

Sam

Hi Cat, nice to see you here also :) they are not rubbish, like Dan said no algae ;)
All you need with fixed light tanks and if you don't want to change it, is choose the right plants for your setup.
You can get nice ferns, crypts, anubias and some other plants that are less demanding and you can grow them pretty well, you don't need CO2 either for smaller tanks, just had some Flourish Excel or EasyCarbo for the carbon and you will be fine, just remember you need to dose the tank to maintain an healthy balance, TPN+ is always a good start.

I already use Flourish Excel. The square tank is on a timer for the lights, can't do the same for the rectangular tank though (everything, filter, heater and lights, is wired through the lid to one plug, way too complicated to wire it differently and would be easier to use another tank...but this one is so quiet you don't even know it's there, and it's in my bedroom).

I have one mystery plant that was once huge but after a replanting shank and hasn't really grown much since (that's over a year), and my java ferns are all dying for some reason - while the java moss and hygrophilia has been thriving - which you can see!

That's it! I have some other ferts, some old root tabs and some interpet stuff I think, but I don't use them.

catxx said:
That's it! I have some other ferts, some old root tabs and some interpet stuff I think, but I don't use them.
Flourish Excel is just a carbon source and not a fertelizer unless what you using is Sachen Flourish (without the excel). If it is the Flourish Excel then you missing the most important and probably a reason why the other plants are suffering.

you see, I don't get all this stuff haha!

I just went rooting through my cupboard and I also have:
(old) Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Root Tabs
Interpet Flora Boost
King British Plant Food

All these treasures I forget about in my cupboard of secrets. Which do you recommend? The tabs wouldn't do much for the fern or moss.

Haven't used any of those really, you will need to check what they contain, if they have both macro and micro nutrients. They might only have trace elements (micro) which then its not good enough.

Have a look here: http://www.indoor-gardening-guide.com/a ... ients.html

King British Plant Food just says under active ingredients "trace elements". Flora Boost again is "trace elements", without nitrates or phosphates. The tabs have "soluble potash, magnesium, sulfur and iron".

catxx said:
King British Plant Food just says under active ingredients "trace elements". Flora Boost again is "trace elements", without nitrates or phosphates. The tabs have "soluble potash, magnesium, sulfur and iron".
Looks like its only trace so the best option really would be to give TPN+ a go, you would see big improvements or you could try the dry salts option (check the articles) but for small tanks and beginners TPN+ is perfect ;)

Back