• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Shrimp Sanzon Iwagumi - 20L Arctank - Finished May 2012

Re: My Shrimp Sanzon Iwagumi - 20L Arctank

Hi,

Another quick update.

DSCF2622.jpg

-------------------------

Reset the tank again and switched the dosing to TPN+ and easy carbo (CO2 has been switched onto my Dennerle 10L).

The TPN+ has fixed the pale P.herferi and also exposed the flaws in my home made dosing in regards to the ricca growth. The ricca had turned to the low nitrate version (dark green and sinking) so the new growth was done from fresh, healthy ricca and is looking alot better.

The P.herferi mound is massive now and i quite like it "bursting" from the rocky "mountains".

Best Regards,

John

samc said:
wow your p. herfeli is massive, i agree though looks quite cool

Especially when you look back at what i put in there to start with, the remains of the stuff from my main tank where the light wasnt enough.

DSCF2067.jpg

Aug 2008

John

Only just seen this Journal but very impressed. The mass of P.helferi looks great. Did you have much success with the shrimp breeding :?: A lot of people seem to advise against lots of ferts and CO2 but your look very healthy!

Cheers, Tom

TBRO said:
Only just seen this Journal but very impressed. The mass of P.helferi looks great. Did you have much success with the shrimp breeding :?: A lot of people seem to advise against lots of ferts and CO2 but your look very healthy!

Cheers, Tom

why thank you.

This tank goes through phases of good and bad, mostly relating to Ricca mass, Ricca mess, Ricca runners. In turn i end up fluctuating the ferts a bit but the shrimp don't mind. Actually up until about 6 days ago i could not tell you the last time i lost a shrimp (read my corner tank journal to find out what happened).

I havn't really been trying to actively breed these cherries, the population has grown very slowly from about 12 to about 30 ish now over the duration of the tank. I've also not monitored what triggers breeding, as it does come in waves. Last time a few of the larger mature females got pregnant the heater had broken and I am now working on the assumption that standard temp is a bit too high (about 26 - 27 degrees) and have turned it off today to see if i can trigger some more breeding.

Best Regards,

John

TDI-line said:
Looks great John :D :D .

Cheers, I'm waiting on everything healthing up a bit before resetting it all one last time before a rescape with new plants.

Back on the point of dropping temp to make the shrimp breed, I only dropped it yesterday and already have a pregnant shrimp. Seems to have worked. Tank now at 24 C.

How did you make the Ricca 'mats'? Are they sandwiched between mesh and then placed in the tank?
Thanks,
Neil

NeilW said:
How did you make the Ricca 'mats'? Are they sandwiched between mesh and then placed in the tank?
Thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil,

I use small bits of slate with bits of net from a bath scrub i found in asda for 99p secured with a cable tie underneath. Once you get the hang of it, it is very quick.

Currently the ricca matt is well overgrown and i'm just keeping it down by trimming and putting gravel into it. I will be dismantling this scape finally when i move flat in a few months. Just now thou, i have to say, its looking bloody great.

I should really work on a new set of photos soon.

Best Regards,
John

hijac said:
I use small bits of slate with bits of net from a bath scrub i found in asda for 99p secured with a cable tie underneath. Once you get the hang of it, it is very quick.

Genius! How is the cable-tie hidden underneath? Is the scrub wrapped around the slate?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of tearing down my nano and starting anew. The HC in my old tank after growing well for months has decided to go patchy, I don't think I have the right lighting (only 11w over 12 litres) or the CO2 to grow it (only using liquid carbon). I may have just been unlucky, but that Ricca looks awesome in your tank. Do the 'mats' of slate get removed once its grown in?

Thanks again,
Neil

NeilW said:
hijac said:

Genius! How is the cable-tie hidden underneath? Is the scrub wrapped around the slate?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of tearing down my nano and starting anew. The HC in my old tank after growing well for months has decided to go patchy, I don't think I have the right lighting (only 11w over 12 litres) or the CO2 to grow it (only using liquid carbon). I may have just been unlucky, but that Ricca looks awesome in your tank. Do the 'mats' of slate get removed once its grown in?

Thanks again,
Neil

Yup the cable tie has the excess cut off underneath then pushed into the substrate with the scrub piece wrapped right around (ricca on top obviously).

I've been happily growing HC in my 10L dennerle (kinda) with 9w light, but it does seem to want to go grey sometimes and die off.

TBH if you want a low maintence carpet i'd look anywhere but Ricca. It is very nippy. It does require a trim every water change unless you want it to lift with time and need resetting every 6 weeks or so. More annoying is the little runners I seem to get going everywhere, which i am constantly fishing out.

I will not be using Ricca again tbh. I got a bit enamoured by amano when i first set this up.

Best Regards,
John

In terms of maintenance I don't mind so much the trimming, just frustrating by the not-growing :lol:

I think I just need to take a look at all the options but Ricca looks to be a good candidate by the look of your set-up! :)

For Garuf

IMAG0011.jpg

NeilW said:
What moss have you got going on in there now? Looks great!

:)

That is ALOT of fissendens. The scape isnt finished setup yet as the fissendens takes so long to grow and i'm too busy to treat is nice. I'll get it finalised in the next few months.

Side point -

If i'm occasionally dosing this tank with 1ml tpn+ and 1ml liquid carbon is it safe for my kitten to drink? i presume its not overly toxic due to the 3 amano's living happily in it and the regular water change while running an eheim 2213.

Cats, Pah!

I have moss envy, that's some haul you've got there!

Not been keeping up with the dosing on this tank as i have a pregnant CRS so no full shots until i refurb.

Kitten got bigger :)

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Best Regards,
John

My Shrimp Sanzon Iwagumi - 20L Arctank

Good luck with the berried shrimp. You're probably doing the right thing not dosing, just to be on the safe side.

This tank still going ?
Just wondering how you got on with the Fiss and CRS breeding :)
Looks great btw, I love the Helferi.

Kris

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
This tank still going ?
Just wondering how you got on with the Fiss and CRS breeding :)
Looks great btw, I love the Helferi.

Kris

Hi!

By some freaky co-incidence I took it down last night. :(

The tank was a little too small and unstable for the CRS to breed. I was breaking down my 10L and this tank into a 30cm cube from P@H. This allowed me to add in a hydor and put it all under the same LED with the low light setup I had running for the last year and a bit in the Dennerle.

Thanks for the compliment and making me check out the previous scapes in this tank.

Best Regards,
John

Back