• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My "Son's" Vietnamese Puddle

dfektor

Howdy all,
I have started on my son's 36 litre shrimp tank.
My idea is a Vietnamese theme not biotope as this can be too restrictive.
I would like some ideas on what stone to use for the scape?
I have researched myself I have a picture In my mind but can't find anything close....
I'm thinking blue-grey with brown vein highlights??:facepalm:

I do wish they had bigger and better quality pics on GM sites grr! :mad: :mad:Not keen on the blue.:(
If you look at the third from bottom pic you'll see the bee shrimp in there natural habitat :p

Oh...What I haven't said is my son is only 8 and wants to pay for it himself (time for a pocket money increase?!) as well as build it along with me......... But then again he also wanted a football themed tank!!!! Lol we will see:eek::confused:

So far he has bought a tank... thankyou eBay he got change from his £20!

IMAG0909_zps31bf5230.jpgIMAG0908_zps7a4b9d1d.jpg

My Vietnamese tank when it was planted:
20p6l50.jpg

And the low maintenance situation right now, more biotope style:
ae2yv5.jpg

Started out with blueish river pebbles from a regular garden centre:
190579.jpg

Very nice yo-han! what fish?are those the vietnamese (white cloud like) minnows?
Your absolutely right on the stone when comparing the research pictures ....I may start looking about for local quarries shame we haven't got a thread for local stone resources!

Yes, Tanichthys micagemmae and some Sewellia lineolata and one Sewellia sp. 'spotted'. These fish are the reason I started an Vietnamese biotope. I liked them both and coincidentally they are both Vietnamese. So I collected some Vietnamese plants and made a designed biotope. After a while I wanted to try breeding them and upped the flow with 1000lph on a 50L tank and removed the plants and CO2. I only left the Riccardia. Only thing not Vietnamese are the Crystal red shrimp.

I guess those stones shouldn't be too hard to find, half of the garden centres around here carry them. Next to the cheap lava stone and all the varieties of limestones.

. Only thing not Vietnamese are the Crystal red shrimp.

Yeah but their only captive bred bumblebee shrimp which are native to vietnam so your not that far out..
im gonna mix crs with bumblebee in this tank for contrast.

Biotopes are lovely and yours is great but it gets to the point sometimes that people get so anal' about the tank that fun goes out the window
and people get so hung up that if they really want the fish and inverts in their natural surroundings leave em there and dont buy'em!

rant over lol long day! Need Beer!

Where did you get your fish?

really like that bio tape love the simplicity and the rocks all just work

Thanks dean

Update: FOR FREEEEEE!
Yes I got my rock it only cost me a 3 hour walk around whittlingham lake!
Ive levelled bottom with a layer of JBL manado which was spare!
I have black and light sand leftovers and i will probably buy this at da weekend!
Exo Terra : Riverbed Sand / Aquatic Terrarium Substrate
which will hopefully help me build the illusion of a puddle
Very simple scape
puddleworks_zpsbeb3c433.png

Ok the exo terra turned up:( its the most finest sand ive ever come across its like powder
and also their brown is more like orange to me!!!

Can anyone suggest any darker brown sand substrate to me as i cant find any anywhere!
If anyone has any spare would be happy to do a deal? only need 3-4 cups of it!

Back