• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My sort of 11" cube

Garuf

dscf0372kl7.jpg

Here she is my new project, MTS claims another victim.
The tank is old window panes which I've built myself, for lighting I plan to use an arc pod or similar filtration will be an eden 501.
Planting wise I hope to try and grow Hm and Hc emergent then fill it up and add some mini vallis and christmass moss.
What do people think?
How's the hardscape? how can I Improve it?

Garuf

Why not put a post up of how to make your own nano tank. I guess you used braces etc to hold it all in position whilst the silicon was curing.

Then you'll have the kudos of being copied by a few people (I'm thinking me of course) as this is a free tank in essence for most of us who can find old windows or glass panes on a freecycle/dontdumpthat site in our regions.

Was it already cut into the sizes like in old windows with several square panes in it or did you cut it/get someone else to do it for you?

Andy

Nice start,

I think the wood needs to be bigger and the stones smaller. I think the rocks in the front could go in the substrate more or made smaller, esp the central one.

I've no real guide to setting one up, The main pains where already cut I only had to cut the base to size and the 2 shorter sides, this I did with a tile saw. I tidied the edges up with wet and dry and emery paste.
To keep the pains in place while the tank cured I used a stack of books, as many as I could just pushed up tight to the glass.
If I was to make it again I would cut the base smaller and have it sit inside the outer pains rather than underneath them.
Sorry, I'd like to be more helpful If I could.

Yes it is, It's 4 litres I had left over from my 10gallon.
Thank you for the compliment George, I agree on the HM HC thing It's the main reason I'm trying this out, Tom Barr provided the inspiration and I want to trial it in a different situation.
Here's a very rough idea of what I think it will look like.
cubelf3.png

Yeah, I just need to source Some Hc and I can start this project of.
I was looking for a 13watt power compact or something similar but I simply can't find a Light that will give high enough output to keep Hc nice.
We'll just have to wait and see, I seem to remember Mr. Barr recommending a 9w or 11w Bulb though...

thank you everyone, I've sourced a hydor co2 system for this tank so alls good in the hood.
James C has pledged some HC I just need to find A suitable light now.
Oh and some co2 accessory's, bubble counter, drop checker and nano diffuser.
So this project is all go.

Planted but lacking a hardscape, stupidity meant I thought it would be best to allow everything to grow in then to add rocks, we shall see how it goes.
Wish me luck.

you only know 'cause you where there when I got it.
Better picture to follow, can't find my camera. :rolleyes:
The HC hasn't taken yet so either my light is rubbish or I'm doing something wrong.

Garuf said:
The HC hasn't taken yet so either my light is rubbish or I'm doing something wrong.

I used to struggle with HC, but now find growing it to be relatively easy, provided it is given a good start.

First off, I found it will thrive in a high light tank with CO2, a good substrate (Aqua Soil in my case) and regular ferts.

When I first receive the pots, I sit them in my tank for about three weeks, still potted. This gives the plants time to change from emersed growth to underwater growth. IME, it doesn`t like being planted out before it has the chance to do this.

To plant it, divide it in to as many small plantlets as you can, and avoid planting it in clumps. Bury each plantlet deep in to the substrate, with just a little still showing.

It takes a little while to get going, but it looks great when it starts to carpet.

One other thing I have found is that if you uproot a healthy, thriving plant and replant it elsewhere, it will take a while to get going again.

Patience is the key, Garuf.

Dave.

Back