My Tank 4 weeks in

th_P2160093.jpg
th_P2160101.jpg
th_P2160109.jpg

Still not quite happy with the rock layout, I'll have a play on my next day off. I'm still waiting for the rotalas at the rear to shoot upwards then I can cut into shape, possible in a u or v shape. Any feedback welcome!

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
As I said on the PFK site, this is incredible for a first planted attempt.

How do you find the much faster aquascaping aspects of the planted world compared to reef?

Once the rotala grows in, you may need to work on some further midground planting or hardscape to provide a transition from the glosso. Otherwise you may end up the FFWS (field in front of wall syndrome).

You may find these articles interesting -
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/forum/v ... .php?t=608
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/forum/v ... .php?t=681

Also consider running a journal (there's a jounral sub-forum) to help educate others. I'm sure, as beginner to the planted world, you can provide much inspiration.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted, please.

Well when I say beginner I have been keeping fish for almost 17 years, ten of those marine. However this is the first full on planted set up. Yes I get exactly what you mean with the foreground to back and thats what I was planning to work on next. What is the plant you have got in your tank currently, it's almost long thin and grassy? It's what I was thinking of using.
Reef keeping is almost an exact opposite, I have to plan almost a year in advance as to where my sps corals will grow. I am finding that after work everyday I'm fiddling a little with the planted tank! But i am really enjoying it, but weirdly I am looking forward to changing it when this set up has all grown out! Something that marine keepers can't do!

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Yes, I'm also planning my next aquascape, almost as soon as I've started one.

I think that's one reason I've held back from marine - I like to fiddle about too much.

The plant you mention is Blyxa japonica. I'll likely be getting rid soon , so you are welcome to some in exchange for a small donation to UKAPS...

TDI-Line - yes it's glosso. I wanted a challenge, as I have taken reef as far as I can with keeping some of the hardest corals with ease, so my LFS told me that glosso was one of the more challenging plants, so I took 8 pots and off I went.

George- Let me know when your getting rid and put me down for some. Donation any time. i'll also see if I can get my LFS to put up some adverts for UKAPS.

nickyc

WOW! I am green with envy... but in a nice way! :oops:

George is right, it would be really good if you'd keep a journal :D

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Simon Dickenson said:
George- Let me know when your getting rid and put me down for some. Donation any time. i'll also see if I can get my LFS to put up some adverts for UKAPS.
Super job. I'll get Dan, our graphics and merchandising guy, to contact you re. some leaflets for your shop. What shop is it? You're allowed to mention names...

And BTW, glosso is easy! Try Ultricularia gramnifolia next time, or even Hemianthus callitrichoides.

I have Ultricularia gramnifolia on the right hand side of the tank and it's growing nicely and starting to grow the capture mechanisms. I also have hemianthus micranthemoides at the foreground on the right although I keep having to trim back the glosso as it seems to be slower growing than the aforementioned.
The shop is called Reef Life in Penryn. Supurb shop mate. I'll get some photos up....

john starkey

first time planted tank

Hi, i think you have achieved a superb result in such a short space of time well done ,regards john

George- Lighting is 2xT5 arcadia plant pro tubes and 1x T8 zoomed florasun and 1x zoomed ultrasun ( I really really rate these zoomed tubes)
As for ferts I'm dosing NPK and also using tropica + daily. My co2 is running off a huge 15kg cylinder with a needle valve and a daz beetle ceramic diffuser. I reverse the cycle to stabilize the ph by running pure 02 at night. Co2 is then turned back on 1 hour prior to lights coming on.
Substrate is eco-complete mixed with volcanit by aquamedic. Fish are fed once a day with colour flake. Plus I just noticed today a couple of the red bee shrimps are carrying eggs.

I'm actually thinking about removing the lid and bracing and going for a T5 luminaire, however I do like the effect of both T5 and T8 in conjunction so I may have to take a look at the innards of a unit and see if I can rig it to house both. I think with the lid removed it should give the aquarium a nice clean look. I might not do this until I re-aquascape though