• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My two aquarium’s

KarloNo1

As a new member, I thought I would post a few pictures of my tanks.
This is my mature, 180 litre
DA9EC66E-BD0C-485F-B338-7319A44C91BB.jpeg

I planted out this 58 litre tank yesterday, 9th Jan 2021.
4150FD9E-654C-442F-8F12-EADEFBB2BF29.jpeg

The water is cloudy this morning, can anyone give advice, is it normal and will it clear?
Many thanks
Karl

Welcome, Liking the look of the 180... Those harelquins are very striking.

With regards to you new set up its possible that it might just be coming from the substrate etc, Hopefully when you do your 50% daily water changes it should clear up nicely.

Welcome, Liking the look of the 180... Those harelquins are very striking.

With regards to you new set up its possible that it might just be coming from the substrate etc, Hopefully when you do your 50% daily water changes it should clear up nicely.
Thank you Paul, I did a 30% change yesterday, it is now starting to clear, I am going to leave the next water change until Sunday, let the bacteria build up a bit first.

Thank you Paul, I did a 30% change yesterday, it is now starting to clear, I am going to leave the next water change until Sunday, let the bacteria build up a bit first.

Its good that it is now clearing. Im not sure if you are aware but not changing your water to build up bacteria is a bit of an urban myth. Many believe that doing water changes will disturb the bacteria that are colonizing in the bacterial filter and will make the tank take longer to cycle. In actual fact it is completely the opposite and can delay the cycle. The bacteria you want is not in the water column but on the substrate, rocks, wood, plants and surfaces of your aquarium.

When a tank is cycling elevated ammonia and nitrite levels in the water are not only directly toxic to inhabitants (if any in the tank) but also displace oxygen from the water. The nitrifying bacteria that are trying to populate your bacterial filter require oxygen in addition to ammonia (or nitrite) and water to survive. It is true that you will be taking some of the ammonia (nitrate) out when doing the water change but not enough to effect the cycle. The newly oxygenated water will help with your cycle. By not doing the water changes could elevate ammonia and nitrite levels and depelete oxygen to the point that the bacteria cannot process the waste to grow. The elevated levels in the water can then slow down the cycling process.

I would recommend atleast a 30% change daily in the first week, and every other day the second week, leading to 2 water changes in the third week. If you have some, adding shop bought beneficial bacteria can help, something like Seachem Stability or API quick start but many will argue that it is not necessary.

Edit: typos

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Its good that it is now clearing. Im not sure if you are aware but not changing your water to build up bacteria is a bit of an urban myth. Many believe that doing water changes will disturb the bacteria that are colonizing in the bacterial filter and will make the tank take longer to cycle. In actual fact it is completely the opposite and can delay the cycle. The bacteria you want is not in the water column but on the substrate, rocks, wood, plants and surfaces of your aquarium.

When a tank is cycling elevated ammonia and nitrite levels in the water are not only directly toxic to inhabitants (if any in the tank) but also displace oxygen from the water. The nitrifying bacteria that are trying to populate your bacterial filter require oxygen in addition to ammonia (or nitrite) and water to survive. It is true that you will be taking some of the ammonia (nitrate) out when doing the water change but not enough to effect the cycle. The newly oxygenated water will help with your cycle. By not doing the water changes could elevate ammonia and nitrite levels and depelete oxygen to the point that the bacteria cannot process the waste to grow. The elevated levels in the water can then slow down the cycling process.

I would recommend atleast a 30% change daily in the first week, and every other day the second week, leading to 2 water changes in the third week. If you have some, adding shop bought beneficial bacteria can help, something like Seachem Stability or API quick start but many will argue that it is not necessary.

Edit: typos

Hope this helps
Thanks Paul,
I have just done a 30% change, the water is clear now, I have no marine life in the tank except plants.
today, I have noticed on the wood and rocks, a white, spore like slime/fungus.
I have read on line that this is normal and leave it alone, it will go, but doesn’t look very nice.
regards
Karl

I have noticed on the wood and rocks, a white, spore like slime/fungus.
I have read on line that this is normal and leave it alone, it will go, but doesn’t look very nice.
regards
Karl
Hi, yes it's normal and will pass in a couple of weeks. If its really annoying you siphon the worst bits off but you'll have to let it run its course.

Thanks John
i have just done a water change and got a lot of it off

Back