• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Re: My venture into my new 760 ltr aquariam.

For your co2 regulator you will need one of the solonoid ones you mentioned so that you can have it shut off when your lights are out.

This is going to be an amazing journal and I am both excited and very jealous :) I love massive tanks and technical stuff. Have you though about rainbow fish? :D

I forgot about the Co2 Reg. Yes I ended up buying one with a solenoid valve and a needle valve attached. I don't go much on the needle valve but I can always sort that if it is a problem.
Not even given fish any real consideration at all at the moment. To much to take in with just plants .

Simon

Hi Simon
This is an incredible set-up - hats off to you for your vision!

You say in the first year or two you will concentrate on growing plants well, only subsequently working on their presentation. My guess is you'll be quickly very frustrated by the tank if you don't at least try to succeed with the design layout from the outset. You've obviously got lots of technical ability and a systematic approach to things - if you take your time with the hardscape and planting layout, using UKAPS as a sounding board, there's no reason you can't hit the ground running on this.

I'd visit The Green Machine if you haven't already, to see their spectacular display tanks. I'd go for halides too, if only for the glitter lines that animate a tank so beautifully - really mesmerising. And for fish - a big shoal of something medium to small gets my vote.

What a great project!

Its probably sounds sill but I have no idea where to start in the hardscape of this tank.
One problem I have is that there is nowhere local that sells decent hard scape materials. Living way down in Cornwall we are a bit out of it. Then thats not a good enough reason. More importantly I am not artistic in any way.
I am also putting most of my thoughts into getting the tank hardware sorted first. I intended to print out loads of scape's from the net and try to come up with something.
Plenty of time for that. At the moment I am making a jig to mill the slots in the spray bar.

Simon

"Is Trimar any good? I think they are in Cambourn."

Not a bad shop but not really into plants and scapes . Had a look around there last weekend.
They do seam to have lots of fish though.
There is a good shop in our garden centre which is part of a chain of shops.They are very helpful. They do have a few bits but again the cater for the fish people really. They were very helpful though and I got my tank ordered through them and they will get anything I want. They will bulk order my plants for me.
I must say that there is a young lady working there is is most helpful.

This was the first attempt at slots in the spray bar. The tube is 32mm and the slots are 70x6mm. It seams a good place to start. I can reduce or increase the slot width . The spray bar will be about 2 mtrs long. Just used a router running on a guide to cut them . Makes a lot of black mess :thumbup:

DSCF0056Small.jpg

I wanted to replace the needle valve that came with my Co2 reg and also I wanted two outputs. I am now thinking of running a pair of Aquamedic 1000 Co2 reactors. So just in case I do that I bought two valves
I also bought the fittings / "T" peice and tubing to connect the valves to my Regulator. This is all using 6mm tube and
Top quality Camozzi needle Valves

The original valve is on the right with one of the new ones on the left.

DSCF0057Small.jpg

Simon

Stunning use of those stones.
Where do these ideas come from. There are certainly non in my head
Simon

Auto Water change

waterchange.jpg

The Mains powered timer turns on and energises the coil of the relay.( the green one ). This makes the contacts and connects the power to the blue relay by shorting out the float switch and the relays open contacts . The timer would then turn off. It only needs to be set for a second or two. Its just there to start everything off. The green relay is only there as the timer has a 240v AC output and I want to turn on a 12v item. I might be able to source a timer that has a switched output rather than a powered one , if so I can do away with the green relay and use the timer switch contacts to latch the blue relay.

As the float switch is in a normally closed position (this is mounted in the main tank at the low level cut off) this will allow this relay to stay activaited. This relay will now stay activated until that float switch drops and breaks the circuit.
Using a second set of contacts in this relay this will now run the 240v pump that will drain the tank.
At the same time a float switch located in the top of the main tank will make contact as the water drops. The float switch in there will drop and make the circuit to its relay.( the uncoloured one) This will turn off the sump return pump until the water level rises again which it will do when the main tank is filled with water.

Once the main tank water level drops to the level set by the float switch the switch will break the circuit , the relay will open and the pump will stop.
The water level in the tank will rise until it reaches its level and is stopped by a float valve on the incoming water supply. This supply is mixed hot and cold from my combi boiler. Saves storing heated water. Just heat what you need when you need it.
Once the water is at the full level it raise's the float switch which will break the power to the relay and the sump pump will start running again.

Water change complete.

I may use a 3rd set of contacts to stop the water supply via a solenoid valve rather than a float valve in the main tank as this only wants to work when I am doing a water change.

I want my water top up due to evaporation ect to happen in the sump tank . This will take place using a float valve.

Anyway these were my first thoughts on automating the water change. Its done from items I understand the workings off.
I could be done with electronics but that’s past me.
The reason for the 12v side is so all the control side is 12v . This means its only 12v at the float switches.

Simon

Thinking about the scape I bought a large piece of wood from Ebay
Had to start somewhere. Thinking of cutting the trunk off flat and turning it up side down to the way it is now and placing it on the right hand side of the tank so that I can have the branches overhanging .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370345935101&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1123

We will see what we can do with it. Just need to arrange a courier or similar to collect it for me.
The wife liked the shape of it.

Simon

FishBeast said:
Can't see the wood as the listing has ended :(

Look further down the page . Its still there. I tried to copy the picture but could not do it to post here.

Simon

That is the best peice of wood I have ever seen... OMG love it.

Got a Phone call today to say my new Tank is in the shop along with the Sump.
Picking it up at 10Am on Sunday. Just need to find lots of Bods that are out of bed on Sunday morning to unload it at this end.
Can't wait.
Also been washing the Akadama . 3 bags done 6 to go. Looking at it I am not sure if that will be enough. Will wait and see.
My wood that I bought on Ebay should arrive tomorrow if Parcel Force deliver.

Simon

me and my mate lifted my tank not as heavy as i thought but still not light

danmil3s said:
me and my mate lifted my tank not as heavy as i thought but still not light

Thinking it will take more than two on a 7x2x2 .

Back