• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My venture into my new 760 ltr planted tank .

Re: My venture into my new 760 ltr aquariam.

I take it the others aren't quite that big? Do you have a photo of that lot? It all sounds pretty awesome. What kind of engine does a thing like that use?

Todays goings on

DSCF0012Medium.jpg

DSCF0015Medium.jpg

DSCF0018Medium.jpg

DSCF0021Medium.jpg

It was heavy enough.

Got to go. Going out for tea

Simon

Just ordered all the pipe work and valves . Not cheap at £300. Still do it once and do it right.
Also ordered a Diamond tipped hole saw for a bit of tank drilling. :thumbup:
Lots of ideas . Spent most of the day just thinking the best way of doing things.
Part of the pipe work is a nice 40mm PvcU clear pipe for the full length 2mtr long spay bar. Had to buy 5 meters of it.

Simon

Colinlp said:
I take it the others aren't quite that big? Do you have a photo of that lot? It all sounds pretty awesome. What kind of engine does a thing like that use?

I have a few other 1/3rd scale models along with a lot of smaller stuff.
At the moment the pup uses a 38cc petrol engine with a reduction drive. Its about to have an 80cc twin fitted as the other set up is giving me some grief, and I need it to be reliable as I have it booked in to fly at a few shows

gear1.jpg

zg80bf.jpg

Simon

Attachments

• zg80bf.jpg
    zg80bf.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 118

BAE said:
that pond was amazing i love the idea with the hole and inside bit but that tank is also stunning

i bet that was a tough desision

Was not that hard a decision . I still have the outside part which is 3300 gallons and some 6 ft deep. The maintenance on the conservatory inside with 700 gallons of open top water is never ending.In the winter it made the room unusable with a massive fridge in the room. It looked stunning when it was at its best. Altering the house around needed doing and by getting rid of it I got everything I wanted and saved a lot of work.
Also last year we had a water born bug problem that drove me up the wall. Just could not get on top of it. Now we have a nice warm room to watch the tank and the pond. Trying to get the Koi to feed out of my hand from one of the windows at the moment.
I need to do a fair bit of work on the garden and all the decking round the pond needs replacing. Not looking forward to that.

Simon

Thanks Simon, that's pretty amazing, I never realised such things existed. I'm gobsmacked by your plane, I live next to an airbase in Anglesey and see people fly their models at the weekend but you can hardly call that a model lol Do you have any youtube footage of it flying?

Watching the progress with your tank closely too, my 750l should be here in a couple of weeks with luck, interesting to see what I have in prospect

Colinlp said:
Thanks Simon, that's pretty amazing, I never realised such things existed. I'm gobsmacked by your plane, I live next to an airbase in Anglesey and see people fly their models at the weekend but you can hardly call that a model lol Do you have any youtube footage of it flying?

Watching the progress with your tank closely too, my 750l should be here in a couple of weeks with luck, interesting to see what I have in prospect

First Flight with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7z-5qE2YE

Simply brilliant!!!!!! I bet that was a clencher!
Sorry for the thread hijack, back on track then :) Cheers

Colinlp said:

How are you setting yours up. What size of tank is it. Sounds like we will both have the same bridges to cross

Simon

Mine is 68" x 30" x 24" with a 48" sump. I'm going down the very low tech route for now with no CO2 hopefully with just sword type plants, tall along the back and short at the front. Fingers crossed this will be as low maintenance as it can be as I don't fancy dipping my head in the tank to reach the bottom on a regular basis. Lighting at the moment is a mixture of 2 x 58W T8 and 2 x 80W T5 nothing overly bright as it's a Discus tank. Out of all of it the sump is what's worrying me, it's my first, getting the balance of water flow is stressing me. Again fingers crossed once it all arrives it will be a case of what was I worrying about.

With luck the tank will work as is with just a lowish twice weekly dose of ferts and occasional root feeding without algae attack. I will plumb in my existing CO2 if it's absolutely necessary but hopefully not, between the sump and 25% daily water changes I doubt I could afford the gas. Talking of water changes, that will be done over night via a plumbed in HMA filter trickling into the bottom of an 85L heated (at night) holding tank which overflows into the sump, the excess in the system then overflows from the sump into an outside drain. I'm doing that at night as we're on economy 7 electricity and it'll save a small fortune heating up about 40 gallons of water every night.

Well that's the plan so far anyway, just watch it change :lol:

Colinlp said:
Well that's the plan so far anyway, just watch it change :lol:

Mine changes on a daily basis at the moment. Sounds really great. I wanted a 30" deep tank but having had one before I decided it was to deep for me to do a planted one.
Hope your are doing some Pics of it all for us to see.

Simon

CeeJay said:
Hi Always Broke

Great journal so far. Keep it up.
I'll be keeping a close eye on this one :D
A massive undertaking indeed :thumbup:

Hi Chris.
Really strange that we should meet on here as well.
Your tank was looking great. Have you any recent pictures of it.
It is a big undertaking but as you know I like a challenge.
See you at one of the shows. Blackberry wine is nearly finished and ready to bottle.

Simon

Do you have kids come over to watch you fly your planes and drool?

I am so excited about your tank. Love watching it progress.

Thanks. I am excited about it also.
More progress

Got a box of pipe fittings.

DSCF0030Medium.jpg

Made the Tank connectors myself so I could use the 38mm ID ABS pipe work for better flow. It helps if you have a lathe at hand :thumbup:

DSCF0028Medium.jpg

These are the pipes from the weirs on the display tank. I valved them for any maintenance or whatever might crop up in the future
DSCF0037Medium.jpg

This is the pipes going to the weirs . All 38mm Id. You can just see where I had to remove some of the wood for the connectors as they did not place them where I wanted

DSCF0038Medium.jpg

One of the two home made Co2 reactors. These are fed with a Eheim 1260 . There are flow valves fitted to the inlet of each one. All piped up with 3/4 PVCu .

DSCF0042Medium-1.jpg

This is the overflow from the sump. Also "T" into it is the 3/4 pipe from the water change pump fitted in the main tank. Again valved for maintenance etc. Also in the Plastic enclosure on the right hand side is the water change feed water. In the box is a duel outlet washing m/c solenoid valve. The output of this will go to the main tank. Its operation will be controlled via a float switch in the Sump tank. I used a duel outlet one just to help the flow.

DSCF0043Medium-2.jpg

I have the return pipe work to do next. This involves making the spray bar from the clear 40mm tube. A job for the weekend.

Simon

Plumbing finished

I will get the tank filled over the weekend then I can start checking things out. Need to sort out the sump levels for the float switches and such like.

Simon

great stuff. I wish i had the time and enthusiasm like you to do this to my tank. fancy doing mine? :lol:

Back