• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

my vivarium show nano. short video

Mark Evans

Expert
Here's the Vivarium nano tank kindly supplied by Dan Crawford.

By biggest challenge to date. The shear size...or lack of it, presents new problems.

I've filled it with tank water from the 120.

I'll do a run down shortly.

I've not gone mad with hardscape due to the fact it's going to be transported. Just 2 stones. :thumbup:

vivarium.jpg

Re: my vivarium nano.

Looks great. I like the shot comparison.

cheers fellas. The front view looks crap, due to the fact the rear plants are still small.

HC
E Acicularis
Crypt costata
rubin red flame
HM
rotala

A gamble withe the red flame and crypt. They may grow big, but if they do then even better :lol: after all there's just 12 weeks to get it done, so they may not be bulging by then...i hope o_O

I've seen amano use echinodorus in a small tank which looked slick

I'm running a mini diffuser (from Dan) which is just awesome! micro bubble tastic!

I just need now a JBL reg with solenoid...my spare broke. 24/7 co2 for time being.

forgot to add,

filter, fluval 105
substrate, Old but unused ADA Malaya
CO2 via FE
aquadistri 11w light.
ferts EI

Here's after an hour. A bit of time for the water to clear. The side panel should show you the stems planted in the back.

1-hour.jpg

Luketendo said:
how many litres is it?

12 litres mate. It's 30x 20 x 20cm

I nearly didn't put any hardscape in, but thought it'd just break it up a bit.

I've found one issue already. The 11w light covers a 3rd of the tank and the plants in that 3rd a pearling, the plants in the less light area are not. Another light need, or some thinking at least.

Looks good, An unusual harscape choice does alot for it. I'm interested to see how the Echinodor does in there, I know the scape you're thinking of I'm sure, it's one of the wabi kusa set isn't it? That's a great little scape, no rockwork in it at all though I don't think?

Mark Evans said:
Luketendo said:
how many litres is it?

12 litres mate. It's 30x 20 x 20cm

I nearly didn't put any hardscape in, but thought it'd just break it up a bit.

I've found one issue already. The 11w light covers a 3rd of the tank and the plants in that 3rd a pearling, the plants in the less light area are not. Another light need, or some thinking at least.

Hah I feel your pain, I just scaped one of those tmc nanos from pfk as an Iwagumi. It was a pita.

Tony Swinney said:
Hope you dont mind me saying, the rock work doesnt seem to have your usual 'panache', but I'm sure you have a plan for it once its grown in

true mate, but with good reason. I'm hoping the rocks wont play such a huge role. I thought about spending plenty of time arranging them, but with transportation in mind, collapsing stones and gravel work could potentially destroy it. :D

Luketendo said:
It was a pita.

I thought the same. I went to MA, bought plants with a rough pic in my mind, came home, placed stones and planted. All done in 30 minutes. I think for the show, I'll really try my hardest to have good plant health

Garuf said:
I'm interested to see how the Echinodor does in there,

me to. I've just had a chat with George, and i think the way to control it is to 'bonsai' it. Georges' advice is to cut the big leaves off.

The whole tank is deliberately on a wing and a prayer...spontaneous.

I'm praying to the amano gods for the HC to take. :angelic:

It will be interesting to see how it evolves as the plants grow in.
If the sword gets to big you could consider swapping it for an echinodorus oriental, they are the smallest sword I have grown to date.

(By the way, I have also done my Vivarium nano as simple as possible).

It is not a moss tank (I am planning a 160l moss tank for next year though).
I was going to wait until I had finished it to put a pic up, but as you asked I'll upload a warts and all pic shortly :)

EDIT: Done! Here they are: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13991

LondonDragon said:
Nice one Mark, as mentioned not sure on the rocks, they seem a little flat!!

It's the nature of the stone mate.

6 hours in and i'm happy as Larry again. water changes etc. keep me happy :lol: I can preform W/C's everyday

waterchange.jpg

you can just see Nelson in the background on the side cabinet :lol:

Thats it for a week or 2. :thumbup:

i like it.even the stones.i reckon you have a cunning plan with the stones and plant growth that we haven't seen yet.
but then i'm probably wrong :lol: .

Back