• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Myriophyllum Mezianum

Superman

I've just got this plant as I liked the look of it in the LFS.

Details from tropica are as follows...

[url=http://www.tropica.com/productcard.asp?id=037B:foxvzoc7]Tropica Website[/url] said:
A brand new Myriophyllum for the planted aquarium hobby
Myriophyllum mezianum (Tropica No 037B) has highly dissected light green leaves with reddish apical shoots and it grows significantly slower than the already known species of Myriophyllum. It is produced emergent from tissue culture. Hereby, the aquarist is provided with a healthy and strong plant able to acclimate to local growth condition and thus, assure the aquarist a successful experience.

myriophyllum_mezianum1.jpg

Myriophyllum mezianum in its natural habitat in River Ambodimanga on the east coast of Madagascar.

Claus Christensen found Myriophyllum mezianum on the east coast of Madagascar in 2006. Here, it grew above as well as below water in the River Ambodimanga. Both young and older individuals formed low dense stands under water and immediately caught Claus’ interest.

Since then, we have tested the plant under various conditions of light, CO2, water hardness and different fertilisation schemes. Following these initial test, the plant was cleaned and prepared for tissue culture production by our laboratory and tested further in our production. The result is a Myriophyllum which is produced emergent and sold as compact plants with several shoots in each pot. This mode of production assures a strong and healthy plant that withstands packing, transport and storage in the shops’ display tanks. And yet, there is still sufficient stored energy left to acclimate and begin a new growth when planted in new tank.

myriophyllum_mezianum2.jpg

Underwater photo of Myriophyllum mezianum in its natural habitat.

When under water, Myriophyllum mezianum sets highly dissected light green leaves with reddish apical shoots. The dissected leaves become broader towards the tip creating an inverse cone-shape structure resembling Ludwigia aquatica in much finer and fragile version. In contrast to already known species of Myriophyllum, Myriophyllum mezianum grows significantly slower (only a few centimetres per months). Thus, it is much easier to maintain a compact growth form with very short internodes. The densely packed dissected leaves creates a wonderful contrast in morphology to the other plants in the planted aquarium.

During planting, the individual shoots should be placed few centimetres apart in small groups in the middle ground of the aquarium. We recommend preserving the entire shoot and wait with further trimming until the plants have established themselves. Then, the attractive and compact form may be maintained by trimming off apical shoots.

myriophyllum_mezianum3.jpg

Myriophyllum mezianum in the aquarium where it forms a beautiful contrast in both morphology and colours to the other plants in the planted aquarium.

Myriophyllum mezianum requires both high light and CO2 fertilization to obtain the best possible result. The plant is also nutrient requiring and capsules (Tropica AquaCare capsules) as well as liquid fertilizer (Tropica AquaCare liquid) are highly appreciated by the plant. Although found in a softwater habitat, Myriophyllum mezianum also thrives in medium hard water.

The only thread on the subject was at: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3890&p=43191
saintly said:
ive grown it with good success. its realy demanding though. once given heavy light and co2 i had 4 24w t5s on a 60 L it pearls like a mother!....everything did!

it took a while to take its immersed state though. here its is in my old set up...(left plant) i stripped down not long after.so didnt let grow to its full potential.

i'll defo use this palnt again. ideal for small set ups.

5b106c2d.jpg

Does anyone have any other experience with this plant? I'm looking to use it in my nano and could replace the HM that I currently have.

Attachments

• 5b106c2d.jpg
    5b106c2d.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 97
Hi Superman.

This is certainly a CO2 hungry plant.
I tried this plant before I knew what I was doing, but it melted into oblivion :oops:, but now I know my CO2 circulation wasn't up to par at the time :oops: :oops:.
Wouldn't have that problem these days, but haven't tried it since.

Chris

I've grown it before in my 10l Dennerle nano. It was a great plant, i wasn't running CO2 coz the Dennerle nano reg broke do just EasyCarbo, it took an age to make the submerged transition but after that it was brilliant and really fine leafed, perfect for a nano. If i were to use it again, i'd buy some from TGM as there's is already submerged.

Dan Crawford said:
I've grown it before in my 10l Dennerle nano. It was a great plant, i wasn't running CO2 coz the Dennerle nano reg broke do just EasyCarbo, it took an age to make the submerged transition but after that it was brilliant and really fine leafed, perfect for a nano. If i were to use it again, i'd buy some from TGM as there's is already submerged.

Thanks Dan, it looks like mine is in it's emmersed form (see below), looking forward to it's submerged form.

9526_184172947362_567487362_3902267_1416150_n.jpg

Back