• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mysterious issue with multiple plants

Hi all,
In nature, there's usually no scarcity of Ca and Mg, but only few K. On the other hand, plants (dicotyledons) require K >> Ca > Mg. Thus, plants take up K preferentially. If you overdose K you create an unnatural environment and many species cannot handle it.
There is a paper <"Regulation of K+ Nutrition in Plants">, that talks about potassium (K+) uptake, transport and storage.
Not surprisingly, plants have evolved a large ensemble of K+ transporters with defined functions in nutrient uptake by roots, storage in vacuoles, and ion translocation between tissues and organs. This review describes critical transport proteins governing K+ nutrition, their regulation, and coordinated activity, and summarizes our current understanding of signaling pathways activated by K+ starvation
............ At low K+ concentration, active transporter systems are needed in order to pull K+ inside the cell against its electrochemical gradient. However, studies in several plant species have shown that channels may be involved in K+ uptake in the high-affinity range of K+ concentrations.............
According to my observations, serious problems are widespread if there's more K than Mg in the water.
I'm guessing that is actually most of us. We don't have much magnesium (Mg) in our tap water (<"for geological reasons">) and I'd expect that most people add less Mg than they do K.

I'l admit I'm still slightly dubious, just <"because horticultural fertilisers"> add more potassium (K) than magnesium (Mg) and they have to "work".

I don't know in my case, I practice <"very lean dosing"> (but not in a <"very analytical manner">) and I add a <"small amount of extra magnesium (Mg)">, mainly on grounds of <"if it ain't broke, don't fix it.">

*Ragel P, Raddatz N, Leidi EO, Quintero FJ, Pardo JM. Regulation of K+ Nutrition in Plants. (2019) Front Plant Sci. 10:281.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Beware, the ratios are molar. Translated into weight ratios it returns K : Mg : Ca = 1 : (no less than) 3.1 : (no less than) 10.2.
Like I said in another post, you can handle Mg : Ca ratio rather freely. Overdosing potassium is much more dangerous. But even in the case of potassium, you don't have to take my ratio too rigidly.
I think the essential fact is this: In nature, there's usually no scarcity of Ca and Mg, but only few K.

When looking at natural waterways in the Amazon (below) its clear that the Mg:Ca ratio can vary quite a bit (if you disregard the outliers there is a trend around 3-4:1 however). but it seems that the amount of K is usually higher than the amount of Mg, but all in very small amounts so that may play a role as well.

waterways-jpg.198057

On the other hand, plants (dicotyledons) require K >> Ca > Mg. Thus, plants take up K preferentially. If you overdose K you create an unnatural environment and many species cannot handle it.
According to my observations, serious problems are widespread if there's more K than Mg in the water.

I think many (or most) of us run our tanks at higher K than Mg levels and most of us are able to keep our plants healthy despite of that. I am wondering what role absolute quantities plays relative to the ratio here. Perhaps there is a grey area where the ratios matters less than the absolute quantities or perhaps interactions with other tank parameters plays into this as well.

Anyway, I think this is all really fascinating stuff and I encourage you to keep up the good work @_Maq_ ! Hardly any of us in the community have the skills, time and dedication to run such experiments.

Cheers,
Michael

Back