• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mystery Puddle - Crack or Frogbit?

Wasn't sure where to put this, but wondered if anyone has experienced this.

Looked at the tank this morning and there was a puddle at the front of the tank. My initial thought was, oh crap, my tank has got a crack in the bottom pane and this is going to be a terrible weekend!

However, I noticed some frogbit roots coming out of the tank. I have a feeling that this might be what caused the puddle and not a dreaded crack...I hope anyway.

So any ideas, could this be caused by frogbit roots or is there something more sinister going on?

Also, how does frogbit do that?
I'm going to see if any of the Amano shrimp have gone walkies, as per the video someone posted recently. That would certainly push the roots out of the tank.

p.s. Slightly worried that my tank will explode!

p.p.s. Just found an Amano on the floor. This might be our culprit, but he didn't deserve the death sentence. Will put some tissue in front of the tank, to see if it draws out any moisture or as a warning sign that there's still a leak.

Last edited:
Yup, capillary action is one or simply the siphon if roots or leaves or stems etc. Anything organic that absorbs water. If it is in the water at one side and over the rim and below the water level Torricelli's law comes looking, gravity will take over and the siphon starts till the water level is below that piece that hangs over the rim.

It's btw an old grandma's trick to water plants when on a holiday. A bucket with water o a stool and a wool string and a plant pot next to it at a lower level. Hang the wool string in the water bucket and tugged into the plant pot soil. A siphon starts because the wool fiber soaks up water, over the edge and gravity does the rest. It slowly seeps into the plant pot. :thumbup:

The soaking effect in between the wool or other organics fibers actualy is capillary action again. :)

It's a bit of both in this case.

It can also happen with algae build up on the silicone in the corners. It can keep growing up to the top and then spillover. Happened to me one day and always noticed the water drop halfway down. Making it look like a leak.

Back