• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NA Island Journal

Things aren't going so well unfortunately...

Plant growth and general health isn't great, probably due to a lack of CO2 and stable conditions. My UP atomiser has developed a leak (well hopefully it's the atomiser and not my reg) so now I have no CO2 and I won't be able to get any more for a week or so. I normally wouldn't be too worried as I'd just change the lighting and other things accordingly. But as plant health is not good I'm not sure about how they'll recover, if at all...

I'm now trying to decide if I should take this tank down, which will give me the time to ensure that everything will be ready for the next set-up. Also it will mean I won't be wasting money on CO2 that may just end up leaking away... I'll see if a guy at my LFS can help me test my reg and atomiser for leaks as I'm out of gas.

I knew the first 4 weeks went far too well. :lol:

Ok, i will try to help you.

Nice setup by the way.

You have decided to use ADA substrate, instead of NA, however this won’t make a big difference cause ADA and NA are both one of the best in the world, so you should have follow this instructions:
NATURAL AQUARIO | New Setup, what i do now?

You have failed to put enough Caridina Multidentata and Crossocheilus Siamensis.

This substrates have large nutrients that will run free on water column on first days. You need to reduce them by water changes, even though diatoms most likely will appear. You know Amano can have own many Caridina Multidentata, he just go fishing on nearby river :D, for us we need to spend big $$$, but only they can save you.

They can save you because they will get rid of algae covering the plants and will allow the plants to get light again. Many people decide to turn off the light, and you can do it as well. Plants are more complex than algae, so algae can die more easy than plants do.

So you have only two options for a fast success, put some Caridina Multidentata and Crossocheilus Siamensis, or turn off the light. Put Caridina Multidentata and Crossocheilus Siamensis is a more lasting solution, cause once you turn on light again algae can appear.

If you have time, then as time goes by the nitrifying bacteria is growing on your tank, they will get a point where they will remove organics and aquarium will be a success.

And a learned lesson:
42. Since NH4 nor NO2 aren’t present, let’s introduce some algae eaters. Don’t be lazy on this particular task. Early introduction of algae eaters can be crucial to avoid algae. ( from NATURAL AQUARIO | New Setup, what i do now?)

Only MY OWN OPINION (just to help)

Back