• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NACD Nature Aquarium

Raquascape

So the time has come, I’m currently planning my very first high tech aquascape.

The tank will be a 60x30x35 NACD. I have plans for a Nature Aquarium style scape using Wood and rocks.

I currently have a friend building an ADA style cabinet out of 18mm MDF as I have been advised in another thread that my chest of drawers will not handle the weight lol!

Filtration will be the Oase thermo 300 and for lighting, the Twinstar 600EA.

The aquarium will be CO2 injected with The Aquascaper all in one fertiliser for plant nutrition.

For the substrate, I plan on using Tropica’s plant growth soil.

I’m sure I’ll have many questions for you aquascape boffins!

Watch. This. Space.

Last edited:
Hi (slightly excited),

Regarding my setup, can anyone suggest lighting configs I should try out from the offset? I've edited the post now to the Twinstar 600EA which is adjustable (I prefer the metal legs p.s someone mentioned in another thread they'd get unsightly water spots and I'm a pain for OCD lol)

I have some questions already!

- How long should I have the lights on for?
- A rough height to have the light above the water?
-When does CO2 come on/off?
-Do I need a dimmer?

I'm aware of getting a timer etc for all of this, thankyou in advance for the help.

R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So went down to the lfs today and found some pieces of wood I've been eyeing up for a while, £20 for both pieces can't go wrong!

Here's my first layout attempt.

0baeadd1adf058a755e8432bbc66a038.jpg

Rocks, aquarium and soil all arriving in the week so further hardscape planning can be done then :)

Cheers guys,
R

I like that bog wood on the left, it has character. I haven't done so but many folks here suggested to make a mock tank to try out and find your most favourite layout. That wood on one side, sitting on top of a pile of rocks, some beaches exposed out of the thank would look amazing imho. I will be watching this tread! :)

I'm going to wait until the tank arrives Harry then I can get scaping properley! (Also being very careful not to damage the glass haha)

I'm going for a nature aquarium style with no beach, maybe a glosso carpet?

What do you mean by locking the wood together Konsa? I'm intrigued!

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Hi
I mean trying to put them together so they look like one more complex piece .Maybe a cable tie or two if U are happy with any of the attempts and U are done.
Also if planning carpet any smaller stones should be lifted off a bit and not pushed in the substrate .It will look odd as a start but If U dont do it the plants will just cover them completely once they grow in.
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
You can use plastic cable ties to fasten the 2 pieces of wood together to look like one larger piece. Cover the cable ties with moss or simular plants to cover them;).

More things turned up today. Did a bit more scaping too. Let me know what you guys think. Still waiting on the tank!

996ff2e0d82149194e84530f661def99.jpg
a0bf23187e24b7a011b09f7911cfa481.jpg
eed7c9c144816d807c5b283a5b289556.jpg

That scape is nice, good flow and wood placement, just add some small stones and sand for détails.

As for an carpet, better stay with MC, marsilea or even HC cuba because glosso is an pain to maintain low (lots of trimming and light needed)

That scape is nice, good flow and wood placement, just add some small stones and sand for détails.

As for an carpet, better stay with MC, marsilea or even HC cuba because glosso is an pain to maintain low (lots of trimming and light needed)

I like this one the best out of them all so far too, where would you suggest putting sand? I had in mind just a full carpet at the front as sand mixing with soil would really bug me haha!

MC is I good idea. Thanks for the reply.

Looks Perfect to me. The stone placement is good too.

I would put sand in the middle part betweend the stones and soil left and right side, it will increase depth and you won't have to trim MC in the middle where the little roots are and which will make the trimming difficult

Looks Perfect to me. The stone placement is good too.

I would put sand in the middle part betweend the stones and soil left and right side, it will increase depth and you won't have to trim MC in the middle where the little roots are and which will make the trimming difficult

Now begining to like the idea of sand! I had another scape and I like this one, here's pictures including height of the tank (350mm).

Quite a bit of the wood will be out the top and I haven't even included soil yet, hmmm.
60d7ccf19885b9c282c8110053d9b31c.jpg
dc0379f3c19f761bd20e0fc897dfc513.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a60b830271ccc9ce217f8f309ededb7d.jpg

Tank arrived! Had a play around with hardscape, nothing is for definite yet as still waiting for a cabinet.

This NACD aquarium is very clean. Excellent silicone work!

Few more weeks and setup will be under way.

Cheers guys,
R

Back