• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NACD Nature Aquarium

Hi R,
the rock placement is much better now, having more weight to the rocks grounds the wood and ensures they won’t be lost on planting.
Cheerio
Ady.

8dc7d0536b8515478f43f96304105f0f.jpg

Added a frosted film on the back to hide the imperfections on the wall. Looks good! It’s added some depth too.

Nice setup! :thumbup:

For an better CO2 diffusion, you can try the p.oliveira method which is the one I'm trying now (and it's working perfectly atm);

Put the co2 diffusor at the outlet of the eheim skim.

Cheers

Okay so setup is this Monday coming, it's so good to have a date confirmed!

A few questions before setup. Thanks for the help in advance.

I will start the lights on the 10th step of 16 on the dimmer with a 7hr lighting period. Is this a good place to start?

Do I need to dose any EA Aquascaper fert from the start?

CO2 will turn on 2hrs before the lights turn on and turn off 1hr before the lights go off. Does this sound right?

What is the best temperature in °C for the tank?

How often and how much do I need to water change in the first week, second week, third etc?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Cheers guys,
Raquascape.

Hi,

I had best results with tropica soil when following this:

6hours/day of light is enough for the first month, then add 30min every 2 weeks and watch for algae.

Dosing; just potassium (i use ada brighty K) and liquid CO2 (i use easycarbo) to encourage growth and avoid algae. For the first month, then add graduelly some micros after WC.

WC: 50% per week or 30% every 4 days is more than enough with tropica soil.

Temp: under 25 degrees is great to slow algae and keep mosses green and healthy.

Finally, make sure to have plenty of CO2 available for plants; lime green drop checker when lights are On is a must.

Good luck and enjoy

Thanks for the tips cookies as always great to hear from you.

I’ll stick with 6hrs of light cheers! As for the fertiliser I’m using EA Aquascaper, would just 1ml a day or something be good for the first week or two? Up it to 3ml the next 2 weeks after that and 5ml a day once growth is really under way? 5ml/50l a day is what’s recommended by George Farmer and in his videos, seems to get him some great healthy plant growth.

Thanks for the water change tips I’ll go for the 3 days option that’s fits my routine haha!

Still yet to fit the regulator onto the FE, fingers crossed it doesn’t explode..lol

Cheers,
R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planted!

6cfc4f6f99bb0223a8ddb2980ebb91b2.jpg
d7d7dde290362ca3f0dda12424628b55.jpg

And a day later... Cloudy water! What causes this?
e6f3848851a3be5f3f86fa9258c1c792.jpg

Plant list:
Anubias petite
Buce red
Eleocharis mini
Crypt Nevellii
Monte Carlo
Staurogene repens
Crypt walkeri
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Trident fern
Pogostemon erectus
Rotala green
Christmas moss

Currently dosing 2ml EA aquascaper fertiser a day and the recommended dose of Seachem stability until the bottle runs out.

You can't see the crypts as I have followed the Juris method of cutting them back to allow new growth and no melt.

I'm so glad it's finally setup, the scape has transformed my room.

Any tips, advice always welcomed.

Cheers,
Raquascape

Looking good!

I assume you’ve fitted the dimmer to the light?

If the plants were tisssue culture you need to dose full level of ferts from the start as the plants haven’t any reserves.

Thanks!

Yes it's the twinstar dimmer on step 10 of 16.
Suggested is 5ml a day so reckon up the dose?

Yes up the ferts dose as per bottle. The tissue culture plants will need it and respond nicely.

Don’t worry about going high co2 at the moment with no livestock in.

Dimmer level 10 is good, turn it up 1 per week as you see fit. Hope you are pleased with the light.

Yes up the ferts dose as per bottle. The tissue culture plants will need it and respond nicely.

Don’t worry about going high co2 at the moment with no livestock in.

Dimmer level 10 is good, turn it up 1 per week as you see fit. Hope you are pleased with the light.

Thanks for the tips, yes the light it's fantastic, great bit of kit!

So water change plan/routine at the moment is everyday 30-40%. After the first week every other day, third week every 3 days then 4th week every 4 days. Sound like a plan?

Woods developing the white slime on it but that's to be expected.

Drop checker is a very light green near yellow.

I'll post some close up pictures once the water has cleared more.

Cheers,
R

After a quick water change I have just noticed the crypts already shooting new leaves! It's only been 2 days since setup. In the second picture there was a crypt I buried next to a rock and a shoot has grown from under it.

Also included a picture of the white slime on the wood.

P.S sorry about the pictures. iPhone.
7da0c7d6b52a0607d342ce9c555f4410.jpg
9293cb67b5d35f19887083ed6a59a141.jpg
4a4dd8b18da6b2f3d9450f808afcab56.jpg

So water change plan/routine at the moment is everyday 30-40%. After the first week every other day, third week every 3 days then 4th week every 4 days. Sound like a plan?

Woods developing the white slime on it but that's to be expected.

Drop checker is a very light green near yellow.

I'll post some close up pictures once the water has cleared more.

Cheers,
R

That's an lot of WC, but as you want, tropica soil is very forgiving.

Plenty of CO2 will help plant transition so that's an good thing

Slime can be sucked up when WC or put some snails to eat it.

I wouldn't dose any macros or micros yet. Some K and liquid carbon would help but that's All. Keep an eye on plant growth and algae and don't dose until you see stunted growth.

Nice to see another 60p journal

That's an lot of WC, but as you want, tropica soil is very forgiving.

Plenty of CO2 will help plant transition so that's an good thing

Slime can be sucked up when WC or put some snails to eat it.

I wouldn't dose any macros or micros yet. Some K and liquid carbon would help but that's All. Keep an eye on plant growth and algae and don't dose until you see stunted growth.

Nice to see another 60p journal

Cheers for the tips cookies!

I'm keeping on top of WCs, after all in nature the water is constantly changed haha!

Maybe I'll get some snails magically turn up from eggs on the plants hmm :D

60p squad!

Cheers,
R

1 week in! I really ought to invest in a decent camera...
97527cb1962dff251b7101c4d2fa5514.jpg

Pinniftida, crypts, MC all showing sigs of new growth which is great. You can see the new shoots coming out of the crypts and the MC is growing nice and flat which I'm chuffed about plus the moss looking much greener.
ca30d0b3f66c964481d7650171b9108a.jpg

f5cfcb0dedc848ae66c910f94ff21c94.jpg

I’ve been using the bottle dose of Seachem Stability as part of the everyday water changes for the past week along with 4ml EA aquascaper fert a day.

The water changes this week are every other day.

I was wondering if I could pick up a small cleanup crew for my unsightly wood mould, towards the end of the week, 5~ Amanos who knows. The water quality needs to be okay first however so we’ll see this week goes.

No major algae signs so far *fingers crossed*

Cheers guys,
R

Back