• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nadfish' Aquascape

NadFish

Seedling
Hello folks, this is my new set up - my first in 3 years - i'm still tinkering with the redwood and due to plant this coming week. The tank is 48"x12x15 and i've had it for years, i have a eheim external 2224 t5 lummiere and a pressurized Co2. updates will be ongoing & any comments & help ;) most welcome ta.

85564786ov0.jpg

60070334nw2.jpg

83721285os1.jpg

66872528na6.jpg

41457986iz0.jpg

afew more rocks added under the redwood

pict00032qy6.jpg

I bought the redwood from the green machine and was told I would get a fungal growth that i can siphon off
and eventually it would stop but could this be the cause of me still having cloudy water??

pict00042ba7.jpg

Nice redmoor wood and stones. The stone on the right looks kinda out of place and might benefit from some rearrangement. I suggest that the redmoor wood goes somewhere in the middle with stones scattered around them to similate the feel of a stump of wood getting stuck on rock banks while floating down the river. By placing the rocks in equal distance throughout the tank, the focus is shifted and you can tell if the wood will be the main focus of the rock being the main.

You could also use the two wood in two corner of the tank like what you did in one of the picture and with rocks linking them together.

Just a heads up that you might find the 2224 to be inadequate, I use one on a 2 foot tank and even I find it on the wimpy side.

Hi Nadfish,

Welcome back to aquascaping!
I quite like what youve done with the wood, It reminds me of the winning scape ADA competition .

adana1.jpg

The rocks need a little adjustment IMO. The centre one is Too central and the 3 smaller stones (front right) are too equally distanced apart from each other. Also there are some really staright lines on those rocks that I think would be best hidden or angled. See the big rock far right .... I think it would better leaning at more of an angle pointing into the scape.
Just my opinion of course -
Nice start, look forward to seeing your tank progress!

thanks for all the comments, nice one.

i agree about the rocks to the right half of the tank, i like the 1st half with the wood & rocks & i'll keep that although ive tweaked the wood slightly but its seems to become a bit too regimented in the spacing the further right, but i'll crack on altering them them (i can always buy more), plants arriving soon! :wideyed:

Off to a good start :) all been said about the scape, all you can do now is play around with those rocks and get planting, then take lots of photos to share with us ;) good luck

I actually prefer the rock placements in the first photo. If you moved the left most rock further into the wood (if possible) and then slope the rocks up from the middle towards the right it would draw the eye round the tank. Sticking myself out on the limb here, but I like the right most rock :)

hi Folks

the plants have arrived & ive been moving rocks constantly ive had the wood in different places & it's been driving me mad! but there in their final resting place for the time being at least. The plants are just a big collection from greenline and it's by no means how i want the tank to look long term eventually once i get going i'll remove some to another tank and buy in some specific tropica plants..please excuse the dirty glass and cloudy water the plants have literally just gone in & i'm also using a swanky dslr sony alpha 700 which ive not got to grips with yet :p . Thanks for all your comments :D

dsc00100np0.jpg

dsc00101vf7.jpg

dsc00110od8.jpg

Looks very good. It's surprising just how much rocks blend in with the plants, however big they look before.

What collection did you get?

it was the PRE-SET 750 for 121 plants + i added a few mosses and GLOSSOSTIGMA ELATINOIDES. The high light set up is great what a difference they are growing already very impressed!

dsc00121zt8.jpg

dsc00246ld4.jpg

dsc00244be0.jpg

fish next hoorah!

well the algae has hit but Co2 is now going in and so have the fish! 4 pencils and 2 flying foxes

dsc00508ip7.jpg

dsc00504to7.jpg

:D

Gotta agree, those pencil fish are very elegant. Where did you buy them from? and what size do they grow to?

NadFish said:
well the algae has hit but Co2 is now going in and so have the fish! 4 pencils and 2 flying foxes

Hi,
From what I'm able to gather from the two photos, it seem to indicate GSA which is likely due to phosphorous starvation as a result of either insufficient dosing or inefficient flow. It might be advisable to review your dosing scheme and/or filter configuration.

Cheers,

thanks for the comments folks

they are indeed the Beckfordi's pencil fish, i got them from "the green machine" in wrexham just a couple of quid each. they settled in really quick after a few hours the 2 males were dueling with each other and showing off there fantastic colours. I have to say the 2 males have been quite aggressive towards the females and the flying foxes! I think i'll buy some more females eventually

i'll be looking to change the filter output and my dosing as well although the algae is not as bad (it's becoming a jungle :D )

cheers

Neal

Back