• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Name this Crypt........

Andrew Butler

I hope everyone is doing well given the current situation.

To quickly fill a space out I made a last minute order of plants for a temporary system whilst I could still get some livestock. After having the plants in a temporary holding it seems that temporary might be lasting a bit longer so going to try and make a better job of things.

I decided to just order a mix of crypts and one of them wasn't labelled, which I'm unsure if you can help me with? I just took a quick photo whilst I was moving some bits around which might not be the best but hopefully will give someone in the know enough to push me in the right direction - I have a few ideas but just not sure.

Here's a quick picture; if this helps then great, if not then please let me know an I'll try and get something else posted.

Thanks

20200421_140800.jpg

Looks to be emersed growth and given the many various forms the only sure way to identify a Cryptocoryne is to identify the flower.

Looks interesting , I do not think that is Flamingo ( although it has the "look") since it is an still relatively rare and expensive variety.

If it is you are lucky! There is another variety I have seen on Aquasabi called Florida Sunset that has this pink colour.

From the sounds of what @Sarpijk says I can hope!
I'm hopefully getting them into a 'temp' setup and get them blasted with CO2 so maybe some further growth and better environment will help make it easier to identify.

There is another variety I have seen on Aquasabi called Florida Sunset that has this pink colour.
I don't think the retailer sells this one.

Crypt beckettii Petchii in emersed form
They've been submerged for a couple of weeks now and I don't think the retailer sells this.

Maybe give it a while and update things; see if anyone has any other ideas.
Thanks though

Pretty sure you have Crypt. 'flamingo'. Leafedges seem to have a tendency to curl slightly.
I have never seen Crypt. 'petchii' this pink - it is ususlly getting more lethery brown with intense light, not pink.
There is, however, a Crypt. 'petchii pink', but this is ususlly a more "sanded"/less vibrant colour of pink-ish and leaf-edges don't ususlly curl.

@Mick.Dk they hadn't been in the best of environments but hopefully are better placed now to grow on a bit
A more detailed picture may help!...;)
indeed it would! - I planted most into my temporary setup to keep plants a bit healthier so they should get some better flow, CO2 etc in the coming weeks.
I did take a few pictures, not the best but I was in a rush.
The not so healthy looking ones at the front right are the topic so hopefully they will pick up and I will hopefully be able to get a more definitive identification
20200424_221629.jpg

20200424_150950.jpg
20200424_151016.jpg
20200424_151020.jpg
20200424_151025.jpg
20200424_151034.jpg
20200424_151043.jpg

Flamingo does okay in low energy....very slow growth!
Needs higher light to bring out the pink colouration.
Helps if you have a snail clean-up crew to keep the leaves clean of detritus, sometimes gets :meh:green spot algae because of the very slow growth in low energy set-ups!!!
That's what I've found.;)

Flamingo does okay in low energy....very slow growth!
Needs higher light to bring out the pink colouration.
Helps if you have a snail clean-up crew to keep the leaves clean of detritus, sometimes gets :meh:green spot algae because of the very slow growth in low energy set-ups!!!
That's what I've found.;)
Thanks for the info, I only have a low power light. Would I likely lose all the pink then?

Hi
They may lose their vibrancy if in a low light situation, plus as the older pink leaves die off, these will be replaced by green leaves as per photograph.
hoggie

How is the flamingo doing?
Due to many reasons the tank went and I was unable to rehouse the majority of plants so never really found out.
The colour faded out to a browny green if I remember correctly.
I've had a quick look for a photo and can't find one easily so will have another look if I get a chance.

Back