Nannacara Taenia

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Fred Dulley, 20 Feb 2011.

1. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

Hey all.
    Thanks to the use of a friend's camera, I've managed to obtain some pics of my Nannacara taenia.
    They are from Trimar where I had a brilliant chat with staff member Monty who really knows his stuff about cichlids.

FredNano2.jpg

Nanacara1.jpg

Nanacara2.jpg

Nanacara3.jpg

Nanacara4.jpg

Oh and this little fella emerged from my planted 125litre tank in the other room.

Damselfly.jpg

2. Mitch

Mitch Member

any excuse to use my camera especially taking photos of fish :)

3. Tom

Tom Member

Nice little fish Nannacaras. I bred a pair of anomalas a couple of years back. I'd love another pair :)

4. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    They are lovely little fish, the local MA had some in and I was very tempted to buy a pair. I believe they are quite feisty for such a small fish. The Dragonfly looks interesting, my first thought was that it was Ischnura elegans, but it may be something a lot more exotic.
    cheers Darrel

5. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

Hi Darrel.
    Is it a indeed Dragonfly? I thought it was a Damsel due to it's smaller nymph size.
    I've had one other Damsel emerge from my 125litre. I've also come across two Damsel nymphs. I'm guessing they came in on the plants (from plantedtanks.co.uk), which I believe were shipped from Malaysia.

6. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    Yes, it is a "Damselfly" rather than a "Dragonfly", they are all the same (Odonata) but Damselfly are "Zygoptera" and Dragonflies "Anisoptera", main difference is the size and the way the wings are held, open in Dragonflies, closed over the back in Damsels. Ischnura elegans (below) is the "Blue-tailed Damsel" and the most tolerant of the British species in terms of water conditions. It still looks a likely option, but only if it is possible that a female wandered in and laid eggs?

ischnura_elegans_hs6_2360.jpg .

cheers Darrel

7. ghostsword

ghostsword Member

There is a big possibility on that, as I bought some plants from plantedtank and within a week I had one damsel fly on the top of my tank. Let it into the garden, but not sure how long would it survive on the british winter. :)