Nano Aquarium with Fluval G3?

Discussion in 'Filters, Filtration and Pumps' started by adamt4050, 23 Jan 2016.

1. adamt4050

adamt4050 Member

Hello All,

I'm thinking of buying a Do! Aqua 25x25x25(cm) Nano aquarium for my desktop and Im just planning everything out and exploring my options - I have an unused Fluval G3 sat in my attic gathering dust, I was wondering if I would be ale to use it on my desktop setup.

Obviously its quite a large filter in comparison to the aquarium itself, so i waned know it would "work" e.g. Be safe.
    Let me know your thoughts and experiences with using a large filter on a small tank.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    - Adam

Last edited: 24 Jan 2016
  2. Julian

Julian Member

Splice the pipes and put in a tap to reduce the flow?

31qthescfll._sx300_.jpg

3. adamt4050

adamt4050 Member

Hey Julian,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out :)

4. DRG93

DRG93 Member

I'm not sure what the internal looks like on a G3 - I believe they are cartridges with pre-filled media? Otherwise I was going to suggest that you just pack the filter with as much media as possible - that also reduces the flow rate significantly. But I like Julian's idea of the valve, that is more than likely your best bet!

5. Dr Mike Oxgreen

Dr Mike Oxgreen Member

I have found that these taps do not like being in an intermediate position and will leak if they're neither fully on nor fully off.

6. Dantrasy

Dantrasy Member

i recent got a g6, havn't got it running yet. But i know the g3 has the same kind of electronic controls. I believe you can press a button and turn down the flow. job done.