• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[Nano] Blackford Hill

BigTom

Went for a nice little walk up to Blackford Hill in Edinburgh today, and with a little rootling around came up with some hardscape for the middle of three P@H nanos, for which I had been awaiting inspiration. Walking back with pockets full of rocks and a whole bunch of ivy stems was less fun!

So without further ado, some pictures of the hardscape (there are a couple of rough joins which will be hidden by plants)...

bhhardscape.jpg

bhhardscape2.jpg

Love it, has a definite 'lost in the magic woods' type vibe - if one exists!

What plants have you got planned?

Cheers chaps.

Plants are in but most of the hardscape is now floating so may be a while before I update anything :lol:

Wanted to try out a few more challenging plants, so they might not all work without CO2, but at the moment - Cyperus helferi, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Blyxa japonica, Hydrocotyle sibthorpiodes.

C. Helferi and the Blyxa are in mine at the moment, they grow fine without CO2! Mine are too long :rolleyes:

I definitely need to go for a walk in Edinburgh haha, looking good Tom!

BigTom said:
Good to hear the Cyperus and Blyxa stand a chance Sentral, thanks.

Mitchell, collecting your own stuff is so much more rewarding that spending £100 on hardscape so you can have a tank that looks exactly the same as everyone elses :lol:

Here here,

Most of my walking in scotland now has an angle of "lets just check out this stream I'm interested in seeing what type of rocks they have".

Ivy stems..... That is a new one on me. Dead, old wood i presume?

Best Regards,
John

Interesting that cyperus helferi and blixa grow without co2, I would think that they had high co2 requirements.

It is amazing to be able to collect your own rocks and wood. :) well done.

BigTom said:
.... but use at your own risk!

Always.

I need to go collecting again soon, my heather has become too brittle in my little 28L and needs redone when I switch the scape into the P@H cube.

ghostsword said:
Interesting that cyperus helferi and blixa grow without co2, I would think that they had high co2 requirements.

Helferi has done fine just with liquid carbon. I don't actually have Blyxa though, I got mixed up :oops:

Tank is now planted, I removed one of the 'roots' to leave a bit more room for planting.

It's got a low of growing in to do, and things are still a little messy (lots of fungus on the wood, as expected), but here's a quick video of the inhabitants, a trio of Dario hygsinon -

JamieH said:
awesome.... what equipment are you using... and what is this pets at home tank.... surely they don't sell something.... nice? :crazy:

Hagen 39w T5 (spread across three tanks side-by-side, this is the middle one)
Dennerle Eckfilter
A heater
ADA Amazonia 'new'

That's it, no CO2 or ferts, everything growing nicely so far.

Lovely video :thumbup:

So wild, I love it.

Thought about some cherries in there? Or would they be a tasty snack for the fish?

Back