• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

[Nano Cubed] Some Accidental Jungles - now buy 1 get 2 free!

BigTom

I had no intention of buying a second tank, and then accidentaly came home with one. So I thought, I'll try out a minimalist hairgrass scape.

Then I saw some Lileaopsis which just looked so green and lovely I had to buy it. So, a minimal hairgrass and lileaopsis scape.

Then I found some really nice old heather twigs, which I couldn't quite resist.

Then I thought it needed a focal point, so added some trident java fern. Which looked a bit silly on its own, so I added some narrow leaved java fern as a background. Which was nice, but clashed a bit with the trident. So I seperated them out with some bolbitis.

There's some moss in there now too. Why not!

And now my minimal lawn is a jungle. But I quite like it, so what the hell.

Specs:

12" P@H cube (27l)
11W lighting and internal filter, as supplied with tank.
3 litres ADA Amazonia II (was actually the cheapest black substrate I could buy in town!)
Will be dosing 2ml TNC complete ferts weekly. No CO2.

Flora:

Lileaopsis brasiliensis
Eleocharis acicularis
Microsorum pteropus 'trident' and 'narrow'
Bolbitis heudelotii
'Hong Kong waterfall moss'

Fauna:

None yet, some shrimp soon

A photo (billion percent contrast boost to mask the fact the water still needs to clear):

nanouw.jpg

Re: [Nano] An Accidental Jungle

:lol: Probably how mine will turn out... How are you finding the light?

Does indeed look jungle-like! Pretty cool, Could we get a lighter pic?

George Farmer said:
Very nice, Tom.

I will be aquascaping with the same aquarium soon. Anything I should know about?

Nope, haven't run into any issues so far except for the filter being a big ugly. Oh, and you'll want to remove the annoying white sticker on the light unit clamp (you can see it in the pic above).

I'm sure you'll cope :lol:

I think I'm going to try and remove that bit of the clamp, very annoying how it falles below the water line! I'm not using the filter either, looks much too small for my liking, but probably will suffice as long as there's not much bioload on it. You planning on fish at all?

[Nano] An Accidental Jungle

Looks amazing.

The internal filter is not powerful enough, but apart from it I believe that it may be the best nano out there. Great glass and very good light, very cheap.

So the consensus is that light is pretty good? Good enough to carpet HC? 11w over 27 litres is 'very low'...

Will you be using this light George?

[Nano] An Accidental Jungle

I am pretty sure that with co2 on the tank the hc will carpet.

George if you are testing the tank could you get a par Meter lent to check the par?

Would be a good way to see how much light gets to the bottom.

So haven't really done anything to this tank except hack back the HG when it gets too long. Added a trio of sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila) this weekend, they're still too small to sex, hoping to get a pair out of them.

Lovely little fish, quick video of them hunting ostracods in the hairgrass -

Re: [Nano] An Accidental Jungle - video page 2

Great tank tom although your light seems to be a hell of a lot brighter than mine i have the 9w though..

Re: [Nano] An Accidental Jungle - video page 2

Yeah the closeup shots in the video are perhaps a touch brighter than it looks 'in real life'. The first two full tank shots would be more accurate as an impression of brightness. Still, no problems growing anything, although the moss has gone into vertical climbing mode rather than spreading.

Back