• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano DIY yeast CO2 advice appreciated.

NeilW

Hey everyone :)

Just purchased one of the Nutrafin yeast fermentation CO2 kits with the intention of acquiring an additional cylinder and using a 'T' connector so I change the mixture once a week on each but staggered. This is to be used on my 17 litre tank. I have been reading Georges excellent tutorial from here and also SuperColey's write up on his setup here.

As my tank is only 17 litres my first question is whether I may actually get too much gas with this method and could I control this in anyway with perhaps starting on a lower yeast mixture and working up?

Is a drop checker required or can I just figure it out for myself using PH and KH test kits?

Also I wanted to check my shopping list to if I got everything;
2 x Nutrafin canisters
1 x Bubble Counter
CO2 tubing
1 x In-Line Ceramic Diffuser
1x Non-Return Valve
1x 'Y' connector

No fancy looking stuff required in the end as the in-line diffuser should hide it all.

Any help, guidance or pointers welcome :)

Hello neil, I thing running 2 cannisters could be abit much for your size tank, unless your doing a mix that has a lower suger to yeast ratio.
Check the sticky in this thread for the mix that work well with the nutrafin kits, and note how the amount of yeast determines bubble rate and how long the mix last for.

More yeast means higher bubble rate but for less time.

Cheers

Is there such a thing as too much Co2 in a plant only tank? Obviously there will be an upper limit to the amount of Co2 the plants can use, and then other factors such as ferts and light become the limiting elements. But will that excess Co2 cause any problems?

in a plant only id so there isnt too much thing as overdosing co2, however it has to be consistant and with that is what you lack, unless you have 2 cannister that you prepare so as that you remove one mix as it slows bubble rate and replace with one that has a similar bubble count.

neil 1/2 a teaspoon of yeast with suger filled to 1mark on itside of bottle should last a week.

i used a whole teaspoon and it lasted say 4days?

I think I'll leave it for now and save it for my Mini-S, having a think about it I don't want to risk my CRS with experimenting :? .

Cheers all though, I'll keep all my bookmarks for later :thumbup:

There is no such thing as too much CO2 for the plants, but that's as long you don't keep any fauna or you risk poisoning them. I used two cannisters before on a Rio 125l tank and I managed to wipe out all my fish, in the end I needed to run an air pump during the night to avoid killing the fauna and that worked fine, you could do that in your tank, use only one canister and reduce the yeast and run an air pump during lights out.

Personally i would not run a yeast CO2 in a nano, you can buy a mini CO2 kit for around £25, and the 92g bottle should last you at least 3-4 months! much higher control that way and also constant levels of CO2.

LondonDragon said:
There is no such thing as too much CO2 for the plants, but that's as long you don't keep any fauna or you risk poisoning them. I used two cannisters before on a Rio 125l tank and I managed to wipe out all my fish, in the end I needed to run an air pump during the night to avoid killing the fauna and that worked fine, you could do that in your tank, use only one canister and reduce the yeast and run an air pump during lights out.

Personally i would not run a yeast CO2 in a nano, you can buy a mini CO2 kit for around £25, and the 92g bottle should last you at least 3-4 months! much higher control that way and also constant levels of CO2.

Thanks Paulo :)

Sadly my tank is in my bedroom so an airstone is out the question but when I come to start my Mini-S without fauna I could give it a go.

I didn't realise those bottles lasted that long on those kits! I think 3 - 4 months would make it a good investment but a lot of people were only saying they lasted 1 month? I really like the look of that TMC expert set at £65; did anyone know if all the 95g refills from the other brands were compatible too if theyre easier to get hold of later (like the Columbo ones)?

May be a much better option :thumbup:

How long it lasts depends on the bubble rate you run them at, if you run them at 5-6 bubbles per minute it should last a long time, if you want really high tech then you need to run it higher and it will run out quickly, I used one of these small kits on my Rio 125 (silly me) and the canisters only lasted around 2 weeks. So that's when I went to FEs ;)

An ADA mini S and diy yeast co2!!!

Sounds crazy to me, the fluval nano co2 kit looks good, but a diy FE set up would last ages on on such a small tank and at 65quid for colombo ones and say 15quid a refill you may aswell buy a lunapet reg and solenoid and spend 25quid on a co2 FE.

Obviously if your initial budget doesn't accommodate for the set up of this set I understand just a suggestion,

nayr88 said:
An ADA mini S and diy yeast co2!!!

Sounds crazy to me, the fluval nano co2 kit looks good, but a diy FE set up would last ages on on such a small tank and at 65quid for colombo ones and say 15quid a refill you may aswell buy a lunapet reg and solenoid and spend 25quid on a co2 FE.

Obviously if your initial budget doesn't accommodate for the set up of this set I understand just a suggestion,

My Mini-S wouldn't have a cabinet so having a beast of a fire extinguisher or gas cylinder hanging around would just look plain ugly as space is a premium :thumbdown:

Just found this though for under a tenner. It all depends on whether it would run out in like 2 weeks - if I ran it very slowly maybe I could get a month out of one?

Failing that its back to trusty liquid carbon! Curse my silly small tanks.

Back