• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano fish ideas

Tom72

Hi folks, I am looking for ideas for 70ltr Dennerle scapers tank. The tank is currently populated with aprox 12 amanos, 12 Blu velvet neo caradena shrimp, 4 clithon snails and 1 Otto.
I am looking for the more unusual species. The tank scape is an iwagumi style and is quite open so will suit shoaling species and has good flow. The ph is 7 to 7.5 but averages 7. Most importantly I am hoping the blue velvets will breed and populate so what ever I get will need to co exist happily. I am also thinking of nano gobies or loaches that may also be suitable.
Thanks

Hi, any chance we can get a picture of the tank? Iwagumi can be hard to stock because most small fish like cover for security and unless you go for something that has been bred for generations, like endlers, they arent as bold as they would be in a heavily planted system. It can also be harder to establish a colony of shrimp without really thick plant coverage as nearly every fish will eat fry given the chance and that also includes gobies.

As an initial suggestion without seeing the tank, Brachydanio tinwini might be worth a look. They will jump but are quite bold and like moving water. They would fit in with your gobies or small loaches like rosy loach plus they are small and not likely to go after the adult shrimp.

Hi @Tom72

Do you also have figures for KH and GH?

May I suggest that one Otto may need a couple (or so) more Ottos for company?

JPC
To be honest, I am not sure why otocinclus are so often recommended to “solve” tank issues, when often times, time alone can solve the problem. but especially for immature tanks, I personally don’t think they’re a beginner fish at all, since they’re quite finicky, and often carry diseases. But yes, I would suggest you get a couple more otos OP!

As for the tank, perhaps some honey gourami? They are quite outgoing and may not need the hiding spaces.

How much cover do you have? A lot of nano fish will pick off some shrimp babies, but if there is enough cover you can usually maintain a shrimp population as enough babies survive to slowly increase/maintain numbers. If there isn't much cover you'd want to be even more selective with fish if you want to grow the shrimp population.

Back