• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano fish

Luketendo

Hello I need some ideas on nano fish to go with Otos and Cherry Shrimp in a 10g long (50cm long). This is going to be an all-moss tank.

I have a few ideas:

Neon Tetras - Small and not kept for more than a few days before since they always die. Hopefully maybe this time they'll survive.
Boraras brigittae - I'd love these but I don't know if I'll ever be able to find them.
Galaxy Rasboras - These are a maybe I tend not to like danios much.

Well the Bororas are the fashionable onces to get, I'm sure you could order them in at your LFS of choice.

What about black neons or glowlight tetras? I think glowlights are very underrated.

Neither are really 10 gallon friendly in my opinion, I'd say cardinals aren't really either, try this list there's loads of really good nano fish, rainbow fish are a good bet, look out for the blue eye one, I can't remember the exact name but you can find it on tropical fish finder.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plant ... 1-0-a.html

What about the Pygmy rasbora? Although after going through this myself recently I eventually settled on the Neons (mainly at the insistence of my wife) and I'm glad I did. They look great in a simply planted tank and I doubt anything else could look better.

If I cannot find Boraras brigittae in a shop I'll try and order some. That some zebra ottos. How many of each should I get in 10g?

Depends I'd aim for no more than 15 fish in total, zebra ottos get to 7cm long btw they're not as small as affins.

Garuf said:
Depends I'd aim for no more than 15 fish in total, zebra ottos get to 7cm long btw they're not as small as affins.

Oh right I think I'll go for affins then.

Garuf said:

Oh right I think I'll go for affins then.

How many Ottos affins would cover the tank alright?

I used to keep 7 in my 10 but The general guide of one per 5 gallons would state 2, its really up to you though, the more the better in my eyes but you would have to supply suplimentary food if you step over say 5. Otto's really like the company of others.

Garuf said:
I used to keep 7 in my 10 but The general guide of one per 5 gallons would state 2, its really up to you though, the more the better in my eyes but you would have to supply suplimentary food if you step over say 5. Otto's really like the company of others.

How does this sound:

4 Ottos
10 Boraras brigittae

Hopefully Maidenhead Aquatics order in fish.

sounds good to me, I'd be tempted to add another 2 ottos though. you can always increase fish numbers over time especially if like many of us you have a huge filter and do regular water changes.

Garuf said:
sounds good to me, I'd be tempted to add another 2 ottos though. you can always increase fish numbers over time especially if like many of us you have a huge filter and do regular water changes.

Ok then:

10 Boraras brigittae
6 Ottos

How many Cherry Shrimps should I start off with?

PS. I'm hoping to get a HOB filter, can easily get a 10x turnover probably.

I was looking at the Eheim Liberty 2040.

Have you ever seen Boraras brigittae? Its a tiny fish and even in a 50lt 10 are going to get lost. I used to have 25 in my 25lt 24x8x8". If it were my 50lt I'd get a shoal of more like 20 or 30. They barely get to 1cm in length!

Great little though, lovely colours. The green neno tetra is also another choice, only slightly bigger say 1.2cm.

Sam

It's not a great picture (these fish are pretty fast moving usually!), but have you thought of ember tetras...?
IMG_0501.jpg

The are a bit bigger than b. brigittae coming in at about 2cm but their orange colour does stand out well against greenery. They have tons of character too.

As for the cherry shrimp, you shouldn't need many at all to start with. As long as you have at least a male and a female, their numbers will increase!

Well I want to Maidenhead today and they said you could not order me any because they would have to get 500.

I don't really want to get green neons since I like don't like them much.

The closest to ember tetras I can find are Red Phantoms.

Also with Chili Rasbora I thought they got to 3.5cm, plus my tank is only 30l.

I have reconsidered and I may get green neons but I would prefer normal neons.

aaronnorth said:
there is aquatics inline, there biggest HOBwould give you 4x tunover for £19

I'm hoping to get a HOB filter, can easily get a 10x turnover probably

I'm getting an Azoo Mignon off AE for £12 which is like 10x turnover.

I think I'm going to get Green Neons (after I've seen Sam's ones in his nano.)

I have just added 20 tiny rasboras to my 8 x 8 x 16 " planted tank, and they look amazing but so small! It has the great effect of making the tank look much bigger than it is. I had 5 already but you need a big shoal to notice them.

I was sold a mixture of B. Brigittae and B. uropthalmoides, sold under the name of 'mosquito rasbora'. My LFS didnt seem to know the difference, I guess they didnt get their glasses out. B. uropthalmoides is even smaller than brigittae, and they look great after a few weeks when they get some colour.

I have limited experience with them, but a couple of pointers-

- They are quite difficult to feed, even hikari micro pellets are too big! Ground flakes and pellets will work but the best is baby daphnia (breed them in a bucket outside).

- I lost a few of them when they got inside my filter, they will get through the standard grills. I had to attach a piece of foam over the grill.

Hope this helps

Tresbling said:
It has the great effect of making the tank look much bigger than it is. I had 5 already but you need a big shoal to notice them.

Ditto!

- They are quite difficult to feed, even hikari micro pellets are too big! Ground flakes and pellets will work but the best is baby daphnia (breed them in a bucket outside).

I found flake work well, just bash the hell out of it with a spoon or something for 10 mins so it is nice and small. Worked great when I had my Boraras species.

Sam

Back