• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano fish

Sorry to bump but I went to maidenhead yesterday and they had absolutely loads of them! Annoyed me, since they wouldn't get them in like a year ago, but I figured I can move my green neons to my bigger aquarium (apparently these are actually cardinals and they just sell the small ones as green neons :twisted: ).

Is the general idea still that I can add like 24 of these to my 35L tank?

How nice! I must look in my local MA

Just a different suggestion - Vietnamese Mountain minnows. Hardy, easy, breed without encouragement for me, available in MA Windlesham or I know the breeder (in Bracknell)

Ruth

Luketendo said:
but I figured I can move my green neons to my bigger aquarium (apparently these are actually cardinals and they just sell the small ones as green neons :twisted: ).
I don't think this is true mate, where did you hear that?

I wouldn't go for any more than 12 really, 24 in a tank that size might look a bit crowded, it's personal preference though, i don't like to see too many fish :lol:

Green neons are Paracheirodon simulans, and Cardinals are Paracheirodon axelrodi. Closely related, but ultimately different fish.

I was within an ace of filling my 60cm with Greens just before an unknown toxic disaster struck and wiped out the plants. I still intend on getting some, though.

There are others such as Rasbora maculata or dorsiocellata. I can recommend both of these types, especially the R. dorsiocellata for character.

Dave.

This is about the best list (and possibly one of the best fish sites) on the web.

http://www.minifische.de/minifischeE.html

If you are into really into very tiny fish then according to Tropical Fish Finder, Maidenhead @ peterborough have Red Ruby Rasboras in stock (8-9mm)- Paedocypris progenetica

AC

Rasbora maculatus? Love my 7, though I wish I went for twice that in my 15-gallon, as I got them mail order as nowhere near me stocks anything 'small' or unusual.

axelrodi is neon tetra. I'm a huge fan of rasbora axelrodi, a very pretty nano friendly fish. Rasbora kabuti is also very pretty.

Dan Crawford said:
Luketendo said:
but I figured I can move my green neons to my bigger aquarium (apparently these are actually cardinals and they just sell the small ones as green neons :twisted: ).
I don't think this is true mate, where did you hear that?

I wouldn't go for any more than 12 really, 24 in a tank that size might look a bit crowded, it's personal preference though, i don't like to see too many fish :lol:

Well I was told this by Maidenhead. I don't think they are cardinals, but they aren't extremely tiny but they do look like neons.

I'm not sure if I want to risk putting these with my big tank though, as I have 2 angelfish, biggest approx. 4 inches. However I still want those Rasboras, How many of them could I put in my tank do you think with my 6 or so green neons?

Garuf said:
axelrodi is neon tetra. I'm a huge fan of rasbora axelrodi, a very pretty nano friendly fish. Rasbora kabuti is also very pretty.

Fail! :!:

Paracheirodon innesi's common name is neon tetra, Paracheirodon axelrodi's is, as Dave said, cardinal tetra.

Mark

Haha my book's wrong then, I checked twice. What ever the case, green neons aren't baby neons or cardinals they're a specie of their own.

I've seen what I was 99% sure were young cardinals being sold as P.simulans as well as the proper thing so it does happen.

Anyway, as my Green Neon Tetras can't really go in the big tank because of the angelfish, how many boraras brigittae do you think I should put with them?

None, even those will get eaten by an angel fish. You need something stockier than nano fish, the deeper bodied tetras for example.

What I am asking is how many Boraras Brigittae should I put in my small tank with my green neons?

Back