• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review Nano Heater Review

Great thread thank you. The Interpet heater that came with my nano is way too long and I've been looking for another one. I think I'll go for the Newattino Plus, seems like a good compromise for a 15l hooded set up. What do you think? Thanks again.

I use the non adjustable Newattino version in my 10ltr. I would have to say that for the price and size it is pretty mega really. Its an 'always on' type and should heat 5-7º above ambient. That would make 22-24º if the thermostat in my house is correct. However I know that not to be the case as I have to put my house thermostat at 16ºC to reach 18ºC due to it being right next to the front door. That means the rest of the house is warmer than the area the thermostat is in.

Why the barbling on about my house? Brand new house hold thermostat set at 16ºC gives me 18ºC. The tank temperature? 25ºC. Exactly on the money :)

Any problems?
(Sort of) 1 - The first day or so it seems to heat more than the 5-7ºC. In fact the temperature was at 30ºC. This must have been a 'breaking in' problem because after that day or so the temperature has maintained ever since at 25ºC.

(Actual) 2 - After a month or so the suckers ain't gonna hold for more than a few hours. The are tiny and pretty soft. I just let mine hang as you can see in the pic

CIMG3772.JPG

Rating - If I had another small tank I would get another of these :)

AC

am i the only one who didnt like the newattino heater? if i put my hands up to the glass of the tank i could heat it up quicker and better that way.
ive had mine now since Christmas and it hasn't gone up 1 degrees, i had to get a fluval edge heater in there too but with them both in its only gone up by 2 degrees not impressed at all.
looks like a job for 'mr hydor-the external heater'!! lol

I personally dont like the look of the Newattino. Mr Coleys tank is nice, but that heater just detracts from the scape and any other equipment. Even if you had black backing, it would still stick out. I have just bought the Aquael, but a 100w model for a 60 litre tank. It is slim line and black, I like the temp gauge aswell. however early days, no good if it doesnt work long term.

Hey, just as a little addit the newatino with thermostat is black thus a bit harder to see. I have been using the Hydor in my Bro's new tank. Pretty consistent 24 degrees in a room with a temp of 20 degrees, the tank is 12 L. By far the easiest to hide in a small tank. http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12394

Guys...I'm using Fluval small heaters in my nano setups. These are thermostatically set at 25 max.... I'm re-cycling a new nano setup for Sulawesi shrimp that require temp at around 27 > 30...

Do you know of any small nano heaters that are not limited at 25 and are reliable...? I like the Eheim Jager heaters but I think these are too long.

Nano cube is a 30cm cube so with substrate and top layer of fine gravel I'm limited in length. I know some of you will say well install your heater diagonally / horizontal, but I do prefer the heater to sit vertical...( God I sound like I have OCD)... ;)

Cheers ... :thumbup:

I have the Hagen Elite mini 25W in my 12Litre and it's fine, it has a thermostat which is nice in such a small unit.

bumcrumb said:
do you guys recommend the fluval edge 25w heater as a good nano tank heater :?:

Yes....have had the Fluval edge 50W in a cube setup and keeps constant 25 degrees....Satisfied so far...

I'll be getting a new Betta tank soon, a 25 litre Superfish. I've always used 25w heaters in nano sized tanks before, but as I like to keep my Betta tanks at 28c I've been thinking of getting a 50 watt.

I've tried most heaters over the years and loved the Fluval Edge for my Chi tank, but could never get the temperature to go above 24 which was OK for the fish I had with it but not for a Betta. I always think the Visi Therm and Hydor Thero are a bit big and chunky for a small tank but have been looking at the Eheim Jager which, although long seems quite a neat heater, or, if I'm going for a 50w, should I go for the Fluval E50? I've got a E100 in my AR620 tank and its been great, but the Jager comes with a 3 year guarantee which does impress me.

Both these heaters are around 9" long, which should be OK with a black background.

I'd be grateful for opinions

Has anyone tried using a Superfish Nano 50watt in cold conditions? My tank is 5 Gall and I think the heater in there is faulty. It maintains 24 deg most of the time in a freezing cold office but when I'm in the office and I put my heater on the temp will keep rising to 26/27 degs until the light goes off on the heater. I've set it to 22 degs but it doesn't make a difference. I suspect the thermostatic switch is broke.

Im after a hide away heater for a 36L? I wish hydor did a small inline as this tank has external filter

Back