• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Jungle - Flexi Mini - fully planted

Kalum

So sticking with my film themed journals I bought this tank a few days ago for a bit of fun. It will be a caridina shrimp tank and I'm facing my nemesis by trying a carpet scape again after failing 3 times previously

Won't be anything fancy and still deciding on background plants (if any) so any opinions welcome

Tank – Flexi Mini 16L
Light – Flexi Mini with S2 Pro dimmer
Filter – Eheim Liberty 75 HOB
Co2 – reg still to get, aquario neo diffuser via 2kg FE

Hardscape
– Seiryu stone & Manzanita wood
Substrate – Tropica soil powder
Ferts – EI

Plant list:
Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)
Hygrophila Araguaia (maybe)

The blank canvas
IMG_20191010_202439_630.jpg

And how my wild saturday is being sent (only started playing about with rocks 5min ago but it's the general idea)
IMG_20191012_202923_401.jpg

Last edited:
It's all from the same 2 batches I've used in all my tanks so far and most of these were in my old 45P betta scape

HC only or add background plants? If I do then the decision is to keep it all green with eleocharis or add a bit of colour with hygrophila araguaia...or both!

IMG_20191012_212232_966.jpg

HC only or add background plants?
Do you want to dedicate the time for HC?

Elatine hydropiper is low maintenance if it’s the small leaf you’d like (just watch the temperature)

MC is so forgiving and low maintenance ;)

I’d go all green - can easily add the H Araguaia later for contrast

Do you want to dedicate the time for HC?

Elatine hydropiper is low maintenance if it’s the small leaf you’d like (just watch the temperature)

MC is so forgiving and low maintenance ;)

I’d go all green - can easily add the H Araguaia later for contrast

Only going for HC due to the small footprint of the tank (why this size was chosen) so weekly trimming wont be an issue with this

EH just doesn't have the same low compact growth for a nano like this for me

MC I know I'd have an easier time with but I want to see how much I've learned in the past couple of years and test myself ;)

I'm leaning towards the all green as well with eleocharis and maybe parva

Last edited:
everything has been ordered so just a waiting game now

decided on using only 2 plants (HC and Buce) in this from the off and see what i think down the line, gives me scope to change it up if I get bored after a while

1 or 2 mini buce varieties will be added in a few weeks as the supplier is off at the minute due to illness, so it will give the tank a chance to cycle and stabilise which is always a good thing for introducing buce anyway

Finally got round to setting this up today, couple of quick pics while it settles

20191021_150531.jpg
IMG_20191021_193935_631.jpg

I'm tempted to just run it at 100% from the start tbh, but if I do lower it then it won't be less than 80%

Running 24/7 co2 and aiming for almost clear since no livestock for the first couple of weeks to hopefully help get the HC established and then I'll slowly lower to an acceptable level before adding shrimp

I reduce intensity on the ONF Nano plus (love the spectrum on this) but run the Flex mini LED at 100%

Appreciate the comments @FishLifeLondon, I quite liked that layout as well but this provides a bit more support for the main rock and gives a bit more height, as always I'll probably tweak as the weeks go on

@alto cheers for the heads up about this light, it's quite low plant mass at the start so I think I'll reduce to 80% then work up to 100% in a few weeks as it grows, I love the ONF range as well and would love one but I basically got this whole setup for the price of just that light and wanted to keep costs low since I've got 2 other tanks running as well

Cheers @Jayefc1 and yeh it seems to be doing ok so far, some good growth but more vertical than creeping so far but upping the lighting to 100% over the next couple of weeks should hopefully help this

Back