• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano NatureScape

Thanks Darrel.
I've been dosing regularly but evidently not enough.
Unless...surely my TNC can't be out of date...can it?
I've had it about 14 months.
I think I read somewhere about keeping fertilisers in cool dark places because daylight/light can affect them but I have APFUK salts and returned to use half full bottles after several months with no CO2, so hope mines ok.think I notice some ready made ones are never in clear containers though.The tank looks ok Tim, maybe tweak with a few species if needed?

Cheers Paraguay, I just might have to do that.
This scape has thrown me a bit of a challenge, and I've got several possibilities to pursue...
Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it with a little help from falsifying hypothesis:)

Fun isn't it.. :) Sometimes it's like playing Chess.. In a way... I played it for a while in a club. liked to do rappid tournaments once in a while.. Loosing like a beginner from 8 year old kids. It thaught me never to answer the question "Are you any good at it?"

Fun isn't it.. :) Sometimes it's like playing Chess.
Haha...that's so right. Give me the simple life anytime, but sometimes a harmless challenge can be fun:)
I played it for a while in a club. liked to do rappid tournaments once in a while.. Loosing like a beginner from 8 year old kids. It thaught me never to answer the question "Are you any good at it?"
It seems the older I get the more reluctant I am to answer that question as well...at least with any degree of certainty.
In fact certainty seems to have deserted me, probably because everything around me, including perceived wisdom, appears to be in a constant state of flux:confused:

This scape, as usual, has been neglected, up date photos will follow.
When I first set it up I noticed a hitchhiker...a single riccia plant.
Some months on, it's taking over...

27120073178_80230b022e_b.jpg
IMG_2117 by Tim Harrison, on Flickr

@zozo thanks Marcel, I'm not even sure there's much CO2 going in atm, the defuser is a bit gunked up and it doesn't have a drop checker.
It's definitely only getting occasional fertz, but despite all it seems to be thriving.

@Edvet I kinda get that impression :meh:, but I actually like the little crystalwort. I'm starting to think about using it tied to rocks in my next scape.
I'm scaping an ADA 60p next.

thanks Marcel, I'm not even sure there's much CO2 is going in atm, the defuser is a bit gunked up and it doesn't have a drop checker.
It's definitely only getting occasional fertz, but despite all it seems to be thriving.

Makes you think and wonder, doesn't it? I also have a 25 litre planted shrimp tank i realy never fertilize.. All low energy plants i did put in it i wont say thrive but stay healthy and relatively grow well. It seems to need more patience than ferts. :) Now after 2 years i definitively titled it my wtf? tank... :lol:

I reckon you're right about that Marcel, and that it's to do with reaching that critical plant biomass, which infers an amazing level of biological stability.
I think tho' we can use CO2 to accelerate the process and then possibly back off gradually to wean the plants off slowly.
If the plants aren't CO2 hungry it can work well, none of the plants in this scape are, so maybe that's why they are doing okay.

Thanks @PARAGUAY and @sciencefiction...you didn't see the large amount of thread algae I removed before I took the picture :rolleyes:
It's long overdue maintenance, as is Return of the Shallow. I need to role my sleeves up and get stuck in ;)

Back