• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Nano pond - 2020

That seems a little OTT for slabs. Might be better with general labourers if you know exactly what you want rather than people to 'landscape'.

An alternative for the airline is running it in a garage/shed where you have power and running a long air line. We run one from our garage with a line into the house. Although, I'd have thought when you most need the extra air is when you'll have most sun for solar.

I'm excited to see what you do and your stocking. I've been watching youtube videos on 'summer tubbing'. It's very tempting.

Mmmm have had 3 quotes this week ranging from 4Kto7K for the what i want doing. So dont think I will have it done tbh.
Will Prob just buy a few slabs to make a patio area in front of the Consevatory. And a few to place the water feature/pond onto.

good luck with the project gill. lots of photo s mate. when i had my garden and pond done. it cost a bloody fortune. if i had been 5 years younger. i would have done it myself.
and saved at least half of it on my own labour. plus with being away on the rigs did nt have time. so some times you have to bite the bullet. and pay the stupid prices of today.
looking fwd to the project mate. all the best fred

I thought your prices for your work was over the top unless AstroTurf is the reason, pity you don’t know of a retired or semi retired grounworker . Whoever you choose if they can’t show you examples and testimonials steer clear. Good luck with project Gill

Ordered the pond this afternoon, so looking forward to doing this.
Decided to order an extra pump just to be safe, as will be making another tier to this myself. which will hold a larger volume of water for the fish.

I've wanted one like that for my patio as well (but it gets super hot here in the summer and I'd end up with fish soup, and a mosquito breeding factory) so looking forward to progress with this!
Are you planning to add a "dug out" tier / pond to it? That's probably what I'd do, using the pre-fab as a waterfall feeding into the pond itself.

I've wanted one like that for my patio as well (but it gets super hot here in the summer and I'd end up with fish soup, and a mosquito breeding factory) so looking forward to progress with this!
Are you planning to add a "dug out" tier / pond to it? That's probably what I'd do, using the pre-fab as a waterfall feeding into the pond itself.

yes will be adding a larger volume bottom tier for the fish, and having the prefab as a waterfall.

So it arrived Smashed, top and bottom tier :(. So seller has refunded it. And said I can keep the other bits and pieces as this was the last one they had :)
So it got me thinking what else I can Use. Then I remembered those large bucket/troughs that farmers use for livestock feeds and watering troughs.
Found a 35L black shallow one, used for washing your pooch in or as a watering trough. I have used similar by cutting down an old bin made from the same stuff. And for under a fiver delivered is a bargain.
So I am going to use that, and surround it with rocks and that Willow Edging Roll from the garden centre section in B+M.
This will give the volume i was looking to achieve for the bottom tier and will give enough room for scaping and planting.

upload_2018-4-20_11-52-35.png

Edging surround
upload_2018-4-20_11-53-37.png

That's a shame.. :(.. But try a local hardware store where they sell plasterer/cement tubs.. Material is black PE, recently both one 150 litres round and they actualy come awfully cheap it was about € 25 i payed for it i believe. And are about impossible to damage.. You also find them at pondshops, but in hardware stores they come usualy cheaper. They also come in 275 litres.
792431.jpg

And actualy with a little ingenuity you could 2 or more placed side by side connected subterranian (The square ones would be beter for that) or is i do in the cellar i connect 3 with a 110mm or 125mm PVC tube vaccuum water bridge. With the water bridge you don't need to cut. I do this in the cellar so the fish can swim back an fort from tub to tub and that way they have 450 litres available and a rather large cirkle to swim.

In the garden if you for example sand the tube bridges and cover them with silicone and throw sand and peat and or bark chips into the kit, they look as tree trunks hidden from view as pvc pipe and mosses etc. will grow to them. :) In your case if it's not for fish, the wild life will use them to travel and hide in it.

Just a few crazy thoughts to play with.. Options enough to make it exciting and playfull.

Last edited:
Thanks Zozo, I will order online. As I never know with my health when I will a bad turn.
I was looking at those ones, but pricer here. The Pet/Horse ones are alot cheaper so going for that one.

I was thinking about having multiple tubs, and having one as a Bog Garden. Might do that in the future.

Multiple tubs is very interesting.. And if you like to connect them that's also awfully easy.. Than take a PVC pipe for example 125mm correct lenght from tub to tub and place a 45° knee at each end with a piece of pipe in long enough to be submersed. Than take such a small 4/6mm x M5 tube connector
F2223817-01.jpg

Drill a hole tap M5 into the pvc pipe, screw the connector in, attach a small piece of 6mm air tube, place a check valve on top. Place the pipe with both ends in the water and suck out the air. When water reaches the air tube they are filled and vacuum. As long as you see water in the air tube you know they are still filled. The checkvalve prevents them from emptying. :) If you want to empty them EG during the winter, pull off the check valve and they drain. And as said, you can make 'm look like fallen over tree trunks.. :)

That's a shame.. :(.. But try a local hardware store where they sell plasterer/cement tubs.. Material is black PE, recently both one 150 litres round and they actualy come awfully cheap it was about € 25 i payed for it i believe. And are about impossible to damage.. You also find them at pondshops, but in hardware stores they come usualy cheaper. They also come in 275 litres.
792431.jpg

And actualy with a little ingenuity you could 2 or more placed side by side connected subterranian (The square ones would be beter for that) or is i do in the cellar i connect 3 with a 110mm or 125mm PVC tube vaccuum water bridge. With the water bridge you don't need to cut. I do this in the cellar so the fish can swim back an fort from tub to tub and that way they have 450 litres available and a rather large cirkle to swim.

In the garden if you for example sand the tube bridges and cover them with silicone and throw sand and peat and or bark chips into the kit, they look as tree trunks hidden from view as pvc pipe and mosses etc. will grow to them. :) In your case if it's not for fish, the wild life will use them to travel and hide in it.

Just a few crazy thoughts to play with.. Options enough to make it exciting and playfull.

Black round tub, yay. I hope we get a journal for that Marcel. There'll be some happy fish I feel. My mini pond is crying for improvement. I need to move my lazy butt. I just bought 3 new plants that will go in once the clay pebbles soak up..

Black round tub, yay. I hope we get a journal for that Marcel.
There is nothing much to journal about in my case.. I only have 3 tubs in the cellar i only use temptorary from december till april to overwinter the fish and some plants. And in april all is going outdoors again and the cellar tubs cleaned out when mission bathtub up and running. So there aint realy a mission cellar tub, it's more like a temporary hibernation chamber with barely enough condition for plants to survive.

dscf9529-jpg.jpg

Thought of it, to build this same setup in the garden with the tubs dug into the ground.. But i never did till now, dunno if i ever do.. :)
If so it definitivey will be a journal about it..

There is nothing much to journal about in my case.. I only have 3 tubs in the cellar i only use temptorary from december till april to overwinter the fish and some plants. And in april all is going outdoors again and the cellar tubs cleaned out when mission bathtub up and running. So there aint realy a mission cellar tub, it's more like a temporary hibernation chamber with barely enough condition for plants to survive.

dscf9529-jpg.jpg

Thought of it, to build this same setup in the garden with the tubs dug into the ground.. But i never did till now, dunno if i ever do.. :)
If so it definitivey will be a journal about it..
Do you have a heater in the cellar Marcel. Or is just being indoors enough. To keep plants alive. I lost 2x plants over winter. The rest are thriving. The rubarb lookung two.
ef8c9e3d55a19b696da2d864e026ab6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Do you have a heater in the cellar Marcel. Or is just being indoors enough. To keep plants alive. I lost 2x plants over winter. The rest are thriving. The rubarb lookung two.
ef8c9e3d55a19b696da2d864e026ab6d.jpg

No i do not use a heater, water gets no colder than 15°C maybe 12°C at realy cold nights. Got 100 watt COB diy flood light above it for a 12 hour periode. Hanging to the ceiling its barely enough light for plants survive this short periode, it''s an absolute minimum..

Thanks for info bud. So 12c to 15c and some light keeps them alive.
Thanks for info mate.

Thanks for info bud. So 12c to 15c and some light keeps them alive.
Thanks for info mate.

Good morning to you too.. :) But it also depends on te plant spp. for example i had a Juncus repens, it originates from the southern part uf the US. And this plants suffers a lot bellow 15°C and completely melts away, than if it looses all foliage the rhizome rots and it's over. I couldn't make it survive, at lest yet haven't seen it back. Also had a Gratiola sp., loosing all foliage, but the rhizome survived and now outdoors again in more light a week later it started to grow again.

I had a 5 year old parlor palm on the window sill. This winter it lost all its leaves, not because it was cold, as it was inside but because of the gloomy weather and lack of light. It's now in my mini pond on a recovery mission with artificial light and has already sprouted new leaves. And exactly the same species of palm grew twice as big in my mini pond over the winter with led lights, even though it also got direct window light as well. So I think sufficient light has a lot to do with plant health. Some tropical plants like crypts and anubias and even some stem plants have survived and grown in very low temp for me as long as there is light....I think that if one has the option to install some flood light, if the pond is outside, etc...a lot more plants will make it, even if it's just enough to keep them alive over the winter period.

Back