• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Nano pond - 2020

This one I have tried to dig it out this afternoon, but very awkward as such a narrow space. So cut it back as much as I could and soaked it in Roundup. Will repeat a few times during the week to make sure it dies.
8a0907ca60b84656f58ce8783dc2857e.jpg

Animal wise, lots of birds visit. There is a squirell that lives in the tree at the front of the house, and it pops in.
Also seen a few leavings from a fox a few times, so that is nice to see.
The birds scatter the floating plants when they bathe, but is nothing major.

Ah right, thanks. will dig them out then. As there is one next to the consevatory.

If you like them they aren't hard to manage by taking the leading shoots off each year. By doing that you can keep them compact and bushy. Saying that I'd probably swap it for a nice shrub that benefits the garden or yourself more as ash tends to be a pretty common weed type tree that springs up all over the place.

Have Ordered Alot of Small/Medium Shrubs to cover the back walls and right side along the fencing.
I have used a company that sends the shrubs prelabelled into a planting scheme, So you just take them out of the box and plant as in the pix provided. So that it is alot easier for me to visualise the overall look.

Have also Planted some seedlings into pots to grow prior to planting in amongst the shrubs.
some mixed clematis, to plant along the fence to eventually cover it.
A few butterfly shrubs to dot around
3 Bonsai CHerry Trees, they were a few quid each and taking a chance with them.
A really Funky looking black flowering plant that looks like a bat.
And some nice ground covering flowering plants.

Nice one gill great make over of the garden .mate. love it. The water feature will bring lots of wild life mate. Enjoy it pal summers upon us.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

There was a thorny low growing twiggy thing growing in one corner of the garden. This took a lot of cutting to get rid of. This has managed to poke thru 3 layers of the weed membrane and 3 Inches of pea gravel. (Just going to take pix)
What is it and Should I just cut it back again and cover with a slab to block any further shoots trying to make it up. Also Was thinking of covering the area with the Strawberry Tower Planters as have Ordered a 30 or so Mixed Strawberry plugs to try out.
Have the strawberry plugs soaking in tank water to give them a boost prior the planting.
Also ordered a nice gold creeping jenny to plant in the cascade and in the borders. Have them soaking aswell.

Pix
This gets 1inch plus thorns on it.
372fa2051848c1c83a6f016934ae54a7.jpg
78b31013ea51a4c69e8558982e76608b.jpg
ad852af2f325cb2ca27f8ceeabbe1a4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

The shape of the leaves and the inch long thorns looks like a pyracantha possible "firethorn". If it is then I'd keep it as the birds love the berries and it provides all year round interest.

Also been going thru my Wood that is piled up in the garden. And Added some more pieces to the Small Pond, and harvested nice pieces of creeping Jenny to add to the pots and wood. Of course the Pup decided these were perfect to play with. So had to re-add them and tell him off.
Collected more Moss and added these to the cascade trays.
Sadly the lowest cascade, the bottom fell out. So used a small pyrex dish to cover the base and allow water to remain flowing how it shoukd.
Need to do alot of weeding, as grass is taking over some parts of the gravel border.

Squirel was busy over winter burying acorns in the grass. So left it alone for him.
Cut the grass yesterday and could only find 2 seed pods, so looks like he has been using its larder store in the grass over the winter months.
Lemons worked wonders for the cats, was adding them frequently to deter them.

Pup was a bit upset that I cut the grass, as he was liking sitting in the cool blades

Not sure what to add to it this year. Might try a pair of paradise fish. As there is not alot of flow and plenty of cover. And it's full of critters

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Used a Fire Grate that the pup destroyed. And used it to cover the gaps in the back gate.
As Calcifer ran after the Post Lady and under the gap. And would not come back. Post Woman was happy to play with him, till I unlocked the gate and tempted him back with a treat.
What Have you Got in your Mouth is soon becoming one of his fave games while i potter about:lol:

Added alot of cuttings from last weeks trim onthe main tank.
Java Fern doing well so far, Rotala is ok. And of course Hydrocotyle trimmings are doing well.

One of them has hatched.
Live foods are coming along nicely. And have added cyclops and ostracods for them to predate upon. Also a few newly hatched mozzie larvae.
Infusoria is ready aswell, and paramecium.

d28415dd00e3e360de8f292df15beac4.jpg
f6af1c715972fe3f30f593fd4d66e075.jpg
d8d7cf2a69567d06a74820f240ec6cb8.jpg
05f1ea8f40f860460fde98840299d15f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back