• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Nano pond - 2020

Gill

So have finally decided on the pond.
Going to be a faux stone resin pond.
4 tier with interchangeable modules.
Each level cascades into the level below.
So going to to the upper 2 as filter boxes that overflow I to each other. That way I can create the best filter without having to compromise the design of it.
As the weather has improved this week. Got a quote from the landscapers to transform the garden. And add a larger patio areas, so that it makes it easier for me to get around. As feel unsteady on such slippery mud. And If I fall over its a right hassle to get me up again.
And create a nice hard standing area for the pond to sit on.
It's will be going under the cherry tree and will
Be surrounded by the large rocks piled up in the rockery atm.
Then a few acers around it and ferns.

I have trialled this type of design before and like them a lot. As they are fully weather prrof all year round.

Can't wait for the garden to be done so that I can use it properly. As at the moment it is a boggy mess.

Landscapers will be digging down a fair bit to improve the drainage so that i no longer have standing water.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Sounds good Gill. Have you got any pictures of what it's like now, so we can visualise what it'll look like when it's done a bit more.
This is it at the moment. Is ok but don't use it.
And paving is uneven. It's an L shape around the side the to front drive area.

ae58c06256f8716a4878d929396243ff.jpg

Yes will be a journal of the build etc.

The pond is £89 which is reasonable for the design. And the pump is sufficient for my needs. And comes with led lighting built in.
As will be medaka or wcmm and heterandria formosa

Lol you can see my wood stash in the laundry basket covers in springtails. The pond will be going in the right top corner. Where I have planted a black cherry, tayberry and something else.
Borders will be planted with shrubs and bonsai cherry trees. Back wall will be covered in passion flowers and clematis. And I want a big butterfly tri colour bush.

Yesterday at work I took it upon myself to clean the big pond of all its rubbish, since nobody else seems to. I fished out a crisp packet and put it on the grass, when i turned around next there was a fish that had flopped out from inside it! I'm going to ask my boss if I can plant it out a bit better and generally maintain it. Anyway I did that then had my break and came across your new journal. Just wanted to say I'll be tagging along.

This is a good YouTube channel you'll probably be interested in.

https://m.youtube.com/user/ThePondGuyAquascape

Yesterday at work I took it upon myself to clean the big pond of all its rubbish, since nobody else seems to. I fished out a crisp packet and put it on the grass, when i turned around next there was a fish that had flopped out from inside it! I'm going to ask my boss if I can plant it out a bit better and generally maintain it. Anyway I did that then had my break and came across your new journal. Just wanted to say I'll be tagging along.

This is a good YouTube channel you'll probably be interested in.

https://m.youtube.com/user/ThePondGuyAquascape

Yes indeed forgotten ponds throw up suprises every now and then.
Yep follow that channel, so great info on there.

For the 1st Tier I will be using Kockney Koi Jap Matt. With some form of Hyrdocotyle planted in it. The marginal planting box, Will modify that to allow more media to be used.
2nd Tier will be K1 micro, And will install an Air Pump to give extra circulation to the Media. Again solar powered. Marginal area will have creepers.
3rd Tier Polishing Pads, will be planted with flowering creeping marginals.
4th and bottom most Tier pond will be planted with Taiwan Moss and a Lotus.

For the 1st Tier I will be using Kockney Koi Jap Matt. With some form of Hyrdocotyle planted in it. The marginal planting box, Will modify that to allow more media to be used.
2nd Tier will be K1 micro, And will install an Air Pump to give extra circulation to the Media. Again solar powered. Marginal area will have creepers.

Sounds promising Gill. Keep us updated

Nice one gill on the garden project mate. Love it sounds good. You having fish in the pond. Or is it ornamental. Lots of pictures mate.
All the best fred

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hey Fred. Yeah will be having Pico fish in the pond. WCMM. Medaka(if can find) and Will def be keeping Heterandria Formosa, Wild, Gold. Or if I can find them Neoheterandria Elegans(Teddy Tigers)
Might even try Blue Paradise fish, as they did really well in my past Tub Ponds.

Though if I can't find them, will just stick to coral platties. They Easily Acclimate to tepmerate waters.

Last edited:
Nice one gill. Lots and lots of photos mate. Of the garden project.
Take care

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Gill, pardon me asking, but are you saying you are going to have an air pump, and a water pump for your pond that are both solar? (and have you a link to the pond?)

Gill, pardon me asking, but are you saying you are going to have an air pump, and a water pump for your pond that are both solar? (and have you a link to the pond?)
Yep both solar powered. The panels will be attached to the fence. And these systems do not require bright sunlight to charge.

This is the style I like, although there are plenty of designs now.
Have tested a few of the solar panel pumps etc. And happy how they have improved over the last few years.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/351447458925

So the Landscapers came back with a price to Astroturf the back garden. Put in 2 rows of slabs infront of the french doors. Slab x2 more areas 6*4 & 5*3 at the side of the house infront of the kitchen door. Nearly £4000.00.
Have 2 other companies who will be coming to quote, so will see what they say. And if they are all in that region, then will be asking now for a price to just slab the garden and with a decorative circle in the centre.

Most solar fountains are as previously stated "absolute crap".

Search the forums for people trying to get them working for more than a couple of minutes a day for the two days in August when the sun shines directly on the solar panel.

Also they suffer from algae which makes everything green and gums the pump up preventing it working for when the sun does appear.

Local garden centre dose their water features daily with anti-algae, a £10 bottle lasting a couple of weeks. OK for them, they are at work 7 days a week, not OK for me at home...

Yes I remember the weekly task of scrubbing down the water features during the summer, before using that chem additive.
Its ok for me and what I am wanting to do. Will be modding all the chambers to hold more water, As I have done in the past with these resin water features.

Hi,
I have a couple of small ponds in my garden....both i have run out an armoured cable from a rcd in my shed.....the pumps are small.....and just have a 2-3 feet head.....both less than 50 watt....but do the job...and you can use all year round,,,,unless it freezes!....the solar things are ok in very sunny weather (i did have one once) but most of the time a trickle at best!!.....
Cheers
Chris

Back