• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano questions :)

Spanerman

Right im planning a nano planted shrimp tank!

The tank will be a 12x8x8 jobbie whitch comes to 13l by my calculations.

I have an interpet mini filter which is 200lph which would give 15x turnover.

I will use a 11w light which will give 3.6wpg

Im also plannign to use scent-less cat litter, is the tesco stuff ok? can i cap this with play sand?

As for co2 il be using yeast with a nano difuser, is this ok? or should i dose with easy carbo?

Ferts will be provided my tpn+ or EI not sure yet.

Will this setup be ok to grow HC and Dwarf Hairgrass?

Any other things i have missed? Wheres a good place to buy a few small rocks from?

Regards, Sam.

Hi spanerman.

All seems okay there. My only question is your substrate. Why are you looking to use cat litter? And I would avoid sand if you can help it. In my experience sand results in compact, black toxic pockets in the substrate.

For such a small tank, I would consider buying a dedicated substrate designed for the job.

Easy carbo will be more stable than using yeast based Co2, but providing your religious about making up new yeast bottles, this can work really well. You can always use both......

A note that with yeast based Co2, some times the pressure they produce is not enough to work some glass diffusers. You might have to ask around to get the right one.

Cheers.

Ok, looks like my finacial situation has changed! massive phone bill! :twisted:

nano is on hold :(

Oh there a shame :(

Cat litter and playsand will be fine imo, but personally, I don't like the look of playsand in a tank - its too smooth and consistent in grain size and colour.

You may also need more lighting as the wpg rule is different on small tanks. I have the same size tank and run an 18w light, which is still too little for my liking.

Liquid co2 should also be fine as a sole form of dosing carbon, but I'd avoid any livestock until you know you have a good balance of co2 light and ferts with a good plant mass.

To add to Jame's comments above, I too have not much light (11w) on a 12"x10"x8" tank and I feel like I need some more.
If you're starting off getting the equipment, then you might want to look at 18 or more watts.

It's a shame people don't go height wattage lights like the ones I've got. Dennerle only do a 8w and a 11w "nano" light when their "nano" aquariums are larger than mine.

I'm thinking of getting another 11w light to really blast the pants off the tank. I'd like to get the luminaire from ebay but I like to see the top top of the tank.

I've got a tank exactly the same size with an 11w arcpod, dosing EasyCarbo and I got a HC carpet growing nicely... Still I'm thinking of getting a different light as I really don't like the 'plasticky' look to it, maybe I'll use it as an opportunity to get something bigger?

Back