nano sump, co2 diffusor

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by Garuf, 9 Apr 2008.

1. Garuf

Garuf Member

Okay so after looking around on some reef forums for a way of keeping equipment out of the tank and also combating evaporation whilst also providing a place for an external co2 reactor and safe dosing I came across the idea of adding a tiny overflow, much like this one: sm_nano.jpg and linking it to a small sump pump combo, say 2 gallons, in which I could add a pump of around 600lph which would effectively double my circulation whilst maintaining a set water level within the display tank and also providing a location to fit an external co2 diffuser, all with the bonus of surface skimming.
    Is this as good an idea as it seems or am I missing something pretty large?

2. tgc

tgc Member

If you can put up with the gurgling noise they are fine, when i had the overflow on my marine tank i used to spend hours fiddling with a bit of air line trying to stop the dreaded gurgle. If you can, get the tank drilled for a sump much better, if you cant then there is nothing wrong with these. :)

3. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

These things tend to de-gas CO2 like there is no tomorrow due to the water turbulence, so you'll probably fin you have to pump in the co2 at a crazy rate.

Sam

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

You really need to run these overflows into a sump so that as the water evaporates there is some leeway between your topping-ups. Other wise your pump will run dry if you just try to pump straight from the overflow IMO.