• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano tank in Thailand

Simes

Hi friends. It has been a while since my last post. I am currently teaching English in Thailand. My aquascape in England is going well thanks to your advice. It is currently being taken of by my mum

Someone gave me a very small 2 gallon tank as they found out I like fish and plants. I just thought I'd bounce off of you guys for some ideas as to what to put into such a small tank. I would like to try and do something with no filter or co2 or any tech at all really. No heater needed as it is a tropical climate. I may have to use any old organic compost with gravel to cap it as aquascape materials are hard to find here in khonkaen. Any advice on plants and fish for such a small environment would be great. Also, if there is anyone in the northeast of Thailand that knows a good shop or website to recommend would be great.

Thanks
Simon

8 litres isn't enough for fish, but you could easily try shrimp. Get some emersed growth or floating plants to help the filtration. Youll probably be able to find quite a few of the plants you need in the local paddy fields if I recall correctly from when I visited the area.

They breed some stunning Bettas in Thailand so that would be my fish choice

The paddy field plants sounds a good idea, you may find some emerse versions sold in shops

Large daily water changes will likely provide increased CO2 and O2

I believe James Starr-Marshall has done several nano tanks with this method
Tropica Layout 87 (which does have added CO2)

Betta 100%!!! With plenty of plants that you can get locally. I reckon Buce might be cheap out there.

I just found some outdoor stalls selling various plants for 15 baht each. I bought a few. They are big enough to be separated. Some are stem plants. I think I recognise one of the plants as amazon sword. I could do with finding some foreground grasses.

Betta 100%, especially in Thailand!

Plant only filtration will be fine, especially if you incorporate plants that root into water, some sort of equivalent to pothos etc

All done. Rescued a beautiful betta. Everything is planted and set up. I will post pictures when the light arrives. I say 'rescued' because the local fish shop keep their fish in appalling conditions. Same all over Thailand really. The Bettas were kept in little more than jam jars. My water was pre-cycled in the tank with a few plants already, if you wonder why it was set up so quick. I found some flint rocks dumped at the side of the road so everything was done rather cheap

24655xh.jpg

What do you think ?

Back