• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tank (ish)

The traditional idea of a 'cycle' doesn't really apply to planted tanks, as plants will consume the lions share of any ammonia produced by the system.
Hi @Wookii

So true. I have a 30 litre cube that has been running for just over six months. Water is purified by one large(ish) Java Fern. A skimmer provides flow, a clear water surface and gas exchange. Fish provide a source of ammonium. Oh, and much pleasure!

JPC

Thanks for all your great advice! I’m onto a winner!

So, @Wookii do you have a dark start guide? And would you advice only using the soil tropica with nothing under it?

Thanks for all your great advice! I’m onto a winner!

So, @Wookii do you have a dark start guide?

I don't have a guide, no - but its a relatively simple process.

Just set your tank up as normal - add all the soil and hardscape, and scape it until you are happy with the layout. Then fill the tank and run it with the filter as normal, but without the light or any plants added, for around a week or two. Do a couple of large (80% +) water changes during that time.

Then once you have all of your plants, drain all the water out of the tank, plant it and then refill with fresh water. Then run it as normal with the light on, and CO2 if you are using it, dosing ferts straight away.

Once you are getting some good growth on plants you can start to think about adding livestock. Typically this would be around 2-3 weeks for shrimp and snails which have a low bio-load, and then maybe starting adding fish slowly 2-3 weeks after that.

And would you advice only using the soil tropica with nothing under it?

It's entirely up to you. If you have any raised areas at the rear, it can help to add some filter bags filled with crushed lava rock or other coarse aggregate, before adding the soil but you don't have to - it just saves some of the cost of soil. Some people like to add a layer of other material under the soil (e.g. ADA Powersand, crushed lava rock), but again it's not necessary, you can just use the soil throughout.

I don't have a guide, no - but its a relatively simple process.

Just set your tank up as normal - add all the soil and hardscape, and scape it until you are happy with the layout. Then fill the tank and run it with the filter as normal, but without the light or any plants added, for around a week or two. Do a couple of large (80% +) water changes during that time.

Then once you have all of your plants, drain all the water out of the tank, plant it and then refill with fresh water. Then run it as normal with the light on, and CO2 if you are using it, dosing ferts straight away.

Once you are getting some good growth on plants you can start to think about adding livestock. Typically this would be around 2-3 weeks for shrimp and snails which have a low bio-load, and then maybe starting adding fish slowly 2-3 weeks after that.

It's entirely up to you. If you have any raised areas at the rear, it can help to add some filter bags filled with crushed lava rock or other coarse aggregate, before adding the soil but you don't have to - it just saves some of the cost of soil. Some people like to add a layer of other material under the soil (e.g. ADA Powersand, crushed lava rock), but again it's not necessary, you can just use the soil throughout.

Aw awesome mate, thanks for that! I’ve got lava rock ready to clean, so that would work in media bags! again thanks for your input and to clarify how you do your dark start

Back