• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Tank

amy4342

Hi all.
Well, the long awaited nano has arrived - it's amazing! (obviously ). Just wanted to run a few things past you:-
1. The bogwood is covered in fungus - It's like a very fine white misty stuff that totally covers the bogwood. I soaked the bogwood in boiling water prior to admission, but I'm assuming the fungus will feed off the surface until most of the nutrients are taken and will then die off? Will it cause the fish any harm?
2. I used ADA amazonia as a substrate, and put the finishing touches to the tank Saturday night, but the water still isn't clear - slightly hazy. Bacterial bloom? I don't think it should be because I used pure RO water and added GH and KH, Tropica Plant Nutrition + and Flourish Excel in the right quantities, and I planted the tank very heavily so surely the nutrients should be consumed by the plants? Unless the ammonia released by the Amazonia is causing it?
3. The tank is the small Arcadia Arc - 20l, 30cm high, supplied with an 11w lamp. Do you think the lighting is enough? I personally would like to increase it to about 18w, but there's no room to add another light without taking the lid off, which I don't want to do because of fish safety. I was wondering if the T5 power compact luminaires (the ones that come in stands and clip onto the sides) would be a better option, but I don't seem to be able to find any smaller than 24" - the tank is only 30cm wide and is wedged between stuff, so the overhang isn't plausible.

Would appreciate any thoughts!
Thanks!

Aquasoil can cloud the water slightly if it was disturbed when you filled the tank. Also RO water won't stop a bacterial bloom in of itself and some of the powders used to remineralise can cloud the water too. Seachem's Equilibirum always clouds the water until the next day when I add it straight to the tank.

Back