• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano tanks section

Egmel said:
SteveUK said:
Egmel said:
Hmmm, every fibre in my body wants to 'organise' the forum into neat little categories... however I take the point that we're not quite at the size where it needs to be organised like that! :lol:

Step away from the white plastic tubs Helen... :lol: :p
Awww but it could be so neat and tidy and you'd always know where to find everything! :lol:

For anyone wondering what on earth we're talking about

A girl after my own heart! Finally, some OCD to rival my own!

^ I would agree with that. It's a bit hard to implement, though because if you notice the odd post in the Buy, Sell, Swap section doesn't conform to this.

Thomas McMillan said:
^ I would agree with that. It's a bit hard to implement, though because if you notice the odd post in the Buy, Sell, Swap section doesn't conform to this.
I don't think it would matter, so long as most of the journals were done it would make searching them a lot easier - also don't forget that titles can be changed by the original poster so they could be updated easily enough :)
Joecoral said:
Egmel said:
Awww but it could be so neat and tidy and you'd always know where to find everything! :lol:

:D it's a larger club than you realise, it's just that most of the time you're not allowed to display it as people think you're odd. :lol:

Disclaimer
I should point out that while I jokingly refer to it as OCD, I've not been diagnosed with it and I wouldn't want to suggest that my need to organise things is, on any level, even close to some of the actual symptoms of serious OCD, which I know to be truly life-disrupting. So before I get any comments that I'm belittling a nasty condition, I'm not!

Egmel said:
Tonser said:
I think just splitting in journal section into 2 or 3 subsections, based on size would be great :D
Maybe we should make a recommended title format, a bit like the Buy sell and swap section.

[size][tech][type]name

So mine could be:

[30USG][High][Jungle] The Upgrade

Any of the sections could be left blank and then if you're a newbie it could be something '[20USG][?][?] testing the water'

Since the sections are free-form you could also alter to suit your style...
[30USG][Low now High][Dutch-ish] My funky tank.

Just my 2p

if you are going to put that you might aswell just put "the upgrade, 30USG high tech jungle tank"

your suggestion is to confusing IMO - if you dont mind me saying ;)

Thanks

aaronnorth said:
Egmel said:
Tonser said:
I think just splitting in journal section into 2 or 3 subsections, based on size would be great :D
Maybe we should make a recommended title format, a bit like the Buy sell and swap section.

[size][tech][type]name

So mine could be:

Any of the sections could be left blank and then if you're a newbie it could be something '[20USG][?][?] testing the water'

Just my 2p

if you are going to put that you might aswell just put "the upgrade, 30USG high tech jungle tank"

your suggestion is to confusing IMO - if you dont mind me saying ;)

Thanks
Could do, the advantage of having them with some sort of delimiter and always in the same order is that they're easier to scan if you're looking for something specific.

Egmel said:
Thomas McMillan said:
I don't think it would matter, so long as most of the journals were done it would make searching them a lot easier - also don't forget that titles can be changed by the original poster so they could be updated easily enough :)
Joecoral said:
Egmel said:

:D it's a larger club than you realise, it's just that most of the time you're not allowed to display it as people think you're odd. :lol:

Disclaimer
I should point out that while I jokingly refer to it as OCD, I've not been diagnosed with it and I wouldn't want to suggest that my need to organise things is, on any level, even close to some of the actual symptoms of serious OCD, which I know to be truly life-disrupting. So before I get any comments that I'm belittling a nasty condition, I'm not!

lol. I took one look at your post back when you first made it, and rushed into my kitchen to see whether I had enough leftover chinese takeaway tubs to do the same to the cupboard under my tank.

Unfortunately as I had put all my spices in them just a couple of weeks before I didn't have enough! Got to say my spices look damn good (good enough to eat, lol) stacked up neatly one on top of the other ;)

I like the idea of having some sort of commonality in the thread title, in my opinion it works great in the swap\sell section. I can't help but also feel that it is too much to ask of people though.

Can also see that we don't have enough posts to start splitting the forums up further.

Egmel said:
Tonser said:

[size][tech][type]name

So mine could be:

Just my 2p

Brilliant! Transferring your OCD box obsession into thread titles, arranging everything into a neat little virtual box! I love it! :D :lol:

Can you imagine Egmel was a mod? Going through the forums, changing topic titles and editing posts to make them all neat and tidy! :lol:

Thomas McMillan said:
Can you imagine Egmel was a mod? Going through the forums, changing topic titles and editing posts to make them all neat and tidy! :lol:
This is why I never take on positions of power - I am always the secretary... I just sit in the back and opine while occasionally making sure things happen. :)

Myself and Miss Wiggle had a few weeks of suggesting to people on TFF that they should follow the rules in the Buy/Sell/Swap section, it worked really well and for a while all the posts had locations in the titles, I just didn't have the time to keep it up :(

BTW one of the things that makes this forum so sticky is the 'view your posts' ego search thing. If TFF had that, I can see that I would probably be back there more than I am, as it is I can't keep up with it, threads I'm involved with drop off the pages too quickly! :?

Egmel said:
BTW one of the things that makes this forum so sticky is the 'view your posts' ego search thing. If TFF had that, I can see that I would probably be back there more than I am, as it is I can't keep up with it, threads I'm involved with drop off the pages too quickly! :?
Click your name, then look under Profile Options :)

JamesM said:
Egmel said:
Click your name, then look under Profile Options :)
Tried that and got an error, besides it's still not as obvious as the 'view your posts' button here!

edit* Got it to work but it doesn't show which threads have new activity on or not, they all look unread even though I'm logged in. Anyway I should probably post this on TFF :rolleyes:

Back